Hello!

Started by Jonny, 04 January 2021, 12:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Orcs speaks sense. I've been doing smaller scale projects using 40mm base per unit which works great for the likes of TtS and can go with a fairly small table size. Then can always double or triple up bases for more oumph if you fancy bigger units down the line but lets you get armies together pretty quickly so you can run a few at once but still make good progress. Then you don't need to pick just one!

Jonny

Thanks for all the replies!  :)

I'm grateful for all the information, suggestions and links, plenty to inform my decision making!

It's good to know about the option to ask for specific bits for making up units. Leon is kindly sending some samples so I'm really looking forward to seeing some examples 'in the lead'  :D

Following the above posts I will be having a closer look at the late roman and pict ranges too, I've already had a quick glance at the late romans and they're lovely!

Thanks again,

Jonny

Leon

Welcome to the Forum Jonny!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

T13A

Welcome,

I use To the Strongest! with 8cm frontage bases, works really well on a 10cm grid cloth. One of my favourite set of rules.

And have a look at 'For King and Parliament' and the ECW range.....

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

sean66

Welcome to the Madhouse.
Regards
Sean

Leman

Welcome Jonny. If you are looking for something British then of your preferences I would go for Wars of the Roses as this is about as full a range of great figures in 10mm as you can get, including the oft overlooked Irish troops in other ranges.

Andy
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Jonny

Hi,

Thanks again for the welcomes and suggestions. I've never considered ECW for wargaming in larger scales but it is a historical period that's always interested me... I'll take a peek at the range!

I know I'll compromise a certain amount of flexibility if I got for larger base width, but I'm most likely just going to be using Impetus or to the strongest and painting both sides myself. I'll probably go for 60mm or 80mm, just to give a little bit more 'mass effect' on each base.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions, there's so many good options!  :)

Westmarcher

For some reason, The Shining springs to mind. *   :-\

A belated welcome from me, too.  :-h

* "Here's Johnny!"
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Zorro

Thanks to Leon I am now onboard.

Hello from the chaotic ex-colony in North America!    ;). 🇺🇸

Have started solidifying my non-aerial miniatures (staying 1:600 aka 3 mm there)  into 10 mm figures and reducing my "other sized" miniatures armies dramatically.  Possibly turning 70 and moving into a two bedroom apartment from from a five bedroom house with full sized basement was a factor in that decision.   :-

Right now I am looking for the best representation of Puritans and Pilgrims (two very different groups in ways not reflected much in figures) miniatures for King Phillip's War.  Ordered some candidates from Pendraken that Dark Horse Miniatures did not have on their website but always open to more experienced people.  Being an ex-analyst from before I retired I have done my research for books and images plus online (which means I did not default to Wikipedia per my training) before posting here.  :)

Also enroute or arrived are World War 2 Pacific Theater, Spanish Civil War, and Fantasy 10 mm figures. Thinking about some other historical eras for the future.

All for now.

Gracias,
Glenn
Fantasy Zorro
FRPG Dwarf or Gnome
Historian, Cartographer, "Analyst"

mmcv

Welcome Glenn, yet another new face!  :D

Sounds like an interesting project you're taking on, what rules were you planning to use for King Phillip's War?

Jonny

Quote from: Westmarcher on 06 January 2021, 02:15:57 PM
For some reason, The Shining springs to mind. *   :-

* "Here's Johnny!"

I know what image to use if we can set our own profile pictures!  ;D

Jonny

Hi Glenn,

Sounds like lots of exiting projects, look forward to seeing them!

Jonny

FierceKitty

Quote from: Westmarcher on 06 January 2021, 02:15:57 PM
For some reason, The Shining springs to mind. *   :-

* "Here's Johnny!"

Second-greatest movie ever.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Welcome Zorro :-h

Looking forward to seeing progress on those projects :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021