Hello!

Started by Jonny, 04 January 2021, 12:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny

Hi everyone,

After becoming interested in 10mm at a scale for future projects i ended up reading a few topics on the Pendraken forum and wanted in on the action! Looks like you've got a good positive atmosphere on this forum which is a great thing 👍

I'm currently working on a 28mm undead project that I might post in one of the 'not pendraken' sections, so long as that isn't bad form?

As for 10mm I'm interested in lots of periods and struggling to know where to begin. The long list of contenders is:
- Punic Wars
- Viking Age Britain
- Wars of the Roses
- Peninsular War (I know that's one for the future for Pendraken :))
- WW2 Western Europe

Other than the Punic Wars there's definitely a bias to doing 'something with British'! I'd be painting both sides then encouraging (forcing) mates to play after COVID.

For the first three options I think I'd base using Impetus 80mm frontage/depths, but probably end up playing using To the Strongest rules. For the second two I have no idea what rules/basing I'd use!

I'm also interested in the fantasy range, and have looked at some blogs and videos about the Warband rules, so that's another option to add to the list!

One question I would have as a newcomer is, out of the ranges I've mentioned which ones are the newer Pendraken ranges?

Many thanks and all the best!

Jonny

mmcv

Welcome Jonny! It is a great atmosphere and full of useful (and useless) knowledge  ;)

It's very much good form to share other things you're working on, always nice to see what other areas people are getting up to.

As far as I'm aware the WotR/late Medieval are the more up to date ones and the vikings the oldest, though the WW2 range seems to keep getting expansions and additions so there are many new ones there.

If you've not come across them before, there's a couple of recent threads showcasing some of the Punic figures: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19898.0.html and http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19425.0.html come to mind. I'm sure there's plenty of others as well for the topics you've covered.

Whatever you decide, looking forwards to seeing where you go with it!

FierceKitty

Good to see a fresh face!

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Jonny on 04 January 2021, 12:23:48 PM
Looks like you've got a good positive atmosphere on this forum which is a great thing 👍

Yes it is despite my best efforts !  Welcome  :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jonny

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks Very much for the topic links and information mmcv :-bd

It will probably take me a while to pick which period to do first but if the WotR range is newer I might take a closer look at that option first. I'd say I only have a superficial knowledge of the history of that period and know very little about the military aspect, so it'll be a chance to learn some new history too.

... But then the Punic Wars does involve elephants!

Techno II

Welcome from me, as well, Jonny !  :-h

Cheers - Phil  :)

Ithoriel

Hi Jonny,

welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know what you are getting yourself into so I shall forgo my usual intro. :)

Just to add to your 10mm options for 'something with British' the recent, and very very nice,  Pict and Late Roman ranges offer a chance to do either a "Decline and Fall" or "Arthurian" Britain. The slightly older, but still nice, Anglo Saxon range would let you add passable Saxon figures.

Whatever you choose, have fun .... and post pictures :)

Cheers!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

Welcome Jonny,

Good set of interests there.
10mm is a wonderful scale, I arrived late in my hobby and have found it excellent for filler armies for some secondary interests.
I'm afraid I can't remember the order of issue of the specific ranges.
Leon (The Gaffer at Pendraken) is a super helpful fellow, so I expect he will be along with the correct information.

One last thought - "Undead project" - I have far too many of those, through maybe not in the sense that you mean.
Mine tend to be started, not finished with the primed figures littering the accusing lead-pile.
Something I should really attend to now we're gazing into the second lockdown.

I advise you take a couple of days to feel your way around the forum, wighue out where the information lies, and who's who.
We mean well, we don't bite (if you don't stand on our tails), and we welcome another view on the hobby.

Steve J

Welcome on board Jonny and look forward to seeing your efforts with Pendraken's excellent figures :).

fsn

What ho, Jonny!

Why pick one period - why not do them all?

Please post photos, we all loves photos.

If you're doing Fantasy the Warband range seems to be accreting ... and they're jolly good. I bought some plague elementals and terror birds just for the fun of painting them.  I don't do fantasy, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20368.0.html Here's a link to what has been done in 2020

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave Fielder

Did someone say 'British'? Nothing better than advancing towards to enemy with a Scarlet tunic and a gleaming bayonet ;-)
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

fsn

Huzzah!

Well said Sir, well said!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Welcome Jonny,

Anything goes in the Non-Pendraken section, we will all be delighted to see your pics.

Interests on here are more varied than the ranges. So ask away and I a sure someone will help.

I too keep hankering after the Punic wars, but get bothered by the limited number of real opponents.  I have a fairly large WOR army and they are colorful and  the range is fairly good.

I have just started playing To the Strongest, but I would base up on 40mm frontage, as this is common with lots of rules and you can always  use two base wide units. its just more flexible.  Instead of all  the arrow chits in TTS I am using dice in dice frames on a round base, I think it is just easier than moving loads of chits with the unit.

The Late Romans are a fairly new range and lovely models. They are Ideal for "Arthurian" Britain.

All I would say is start small so you don't get overwhelmed and end up with a lead mountain ( I have a lead mountain range)  You could stsrt with DBa Size armies using a single element as a unit in TTS.

Leon and Pendraken give superb customer service. If you need a few  extra figures to make up units , or additional commanders/standards they will sell tyou how ever many you want at a small premium, but its far cheaper than having half a pack of figures laying in the draw.

I'll stop waffling now  :)

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Welcome Jonny :-h

Adding to your options I'm in the middle of a Hundred Years War Project, it gives you the chance to do something with British English using To the Strongest ;)
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19748.0.html

The TB Line foot mix very well with the main Pendraken ranges
https://pendraken.co.uk/tb-line/middle-ages/europe/

The same figures can be used for the WoR

I can also strongly recommend the Punic Wars ranges, the Greeks are very recent but all the ranges are very good, Mmcv has already linked to my Punic war project

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!