Market Garden - Sight Seeing Trip

Started by AJ at the Bank, 08 July 2019, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ at the Bank

Am planning a 3 day trip for a few of us visiting Operation Market Garden sites....

Anyone been over / got any tips or places of particular interest please?

Thanks!
Adam
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

T13A

Hi Adam

I'm afraid it is 45 years since I visited Arnhem (which makes me think I should get around to doing it again!) so no up do date tips I'm afraid.

I would suggest however getting hold of 'Major & Mrs Holt's guide to Operation Market-Garden', it's just under £14.00 from Amazon (if you haven't already).

Also if you haven't been before be prepared for major changes to the centre of Arnhem (hardly surprising) including new roads and a major new bridge over the river. I do remember it being a bit difficult orientating myself when looking at the maps of the battle. There is also a major new 'motorway' bisecting the LZ's and DZ's of 1st Airborne Div. All that said I'm sure you will have a great time.

Hope to see photos!

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

John Cook

I've done the visit you are planning twice.  There is stacks to see, too much to describe it all here but there is a lot on line to help you prepare for your trip.  It depends how much ground you want to cover.  You really could easily spend three days to do it all justice. 

The first time I did it though, more than 25 years ago, involved the whole lot in a single day as a 'Staff Ride' organised by HQ NORTHAG in Rheindahlen.  That involved an 0500 start at Joe's Bridge and by the time we got back to Rheindahlen it was past midnight.  Not recommended.  A lot has changed in the interim, mainly orienting it towards the tourist with new and improved museums.

Start at 'Joe's Bridge near Neerpelt, where Market Garden kicked-off.  Follow road to Eindhoven where US 101st AB Div dropped – drop zones, bridges and a small museum nearby, I can't remember its name. 

Continue to Nijmegen where US 82nd AB Div dropped – bridges and the National Liberation Museum near the Groesbeek drop zone.  This museum is well worth a visit. 

Finally on towards Arnhem.  Start at the British 1st Airborne Div drop zones and glider landing zones west of the town.  Follow the route the paras took into Arnhem ending up at the bridge.  The original one was replaced many years ago.  The Hartenstein Hotel at Oosterbeek, HQ of 1st AB Div and now a museum, is an essential visit.   

In addition, about 30km south of Nijmegen is the Overloon War Museum.  It is a huge place spread over a large area of parkland and woods, the site of fighting a month after Op Market Garden.  There used to be wrecked vehicles left where they were knocked out.  It is perhaps one of the best WW2 museums anywhere and an essential visit if you are in the area.  You could spend a day there alone. 

Dr Dave

Adam,

If you get the chance go into the Onderlangs park - it's the green open space between the river road and the Utrechtsweg about half a mile west of the Bridge. It starts near the St Elizabeth hospital and widens out to about 80m after about 500m. Note the brick buildings on the southern bank of the river and the dominating high ground to the north. Jerry held both in strength. This is where 1st and 3rd Bttns made their last desperate attempt to get to the bridge and virtually disappeared trying. 90% casualties within in a few hrs of starting off. I take our military students there every year.

When you get to the bridge take a peak under the northern ramp - it's a fenced off wheelie bin store now (!) - That's where the last few of the defenders held out. Before they were overwhelmed there was a cease fire to take out the wounded. The SS walked amongst the defenders giving out cigars and telling them it was pointless. "Piss off" was the universal response.

Arnhem is full of tucked away little places each with it's own story - make the most of it.

ATVB,

Dave

hammurabi70

Quote from: AJ at the Bank on 08 July 2019, 10:02:04 AM
Am planning a 3 day trip for a few of us visiting Operation Market Garden sites....

Anyone been over / got any tips or places of particular interest please?

Thanks!
Adam

Any tips from your visit?  It must be 35 years since I did it.

holdfast

Orcs

We had 4 days there about 5 years ago. one of the  of the best museums was a  small private one in the garage of a house.

Unfortunately the Hartstien hotel museum has been modernised and lost a lot of its soul.  When I first went25 yeas ago they had a Vickers HMG from the battle that had a bandage tied round the water hose to stop the leak where it had been nicked by a bullet.   Last time they had replaced it with a pristine Vickers

This one was quite good as a generic war museum

https://www.landmarkscout.com/arnhem-war-museum-40-45/

Also if you get a chance go to Overloon Tank Museum
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

hammurabi70

Quote from: Orcs on 12 February 2021, 12:07:25 AM
We had 4 days there about 5 years ago. one of the  of the best museums was a  small private one in the garage of a house.

I remember that one; or at least went to such a museum back in the eighties during a trip to Arnhem.  Impressive that it is still going.

Ace of Spades

I'm 51 years old and live close to the 'corridor' and still haven't seen it all... try to follow the old road and it's bridges where possible and you'll see why it was a 'slightly optimistic' schedule.
Please bear in mind that most musea are closed at the moment due to the pandemic!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 12 February 2021, 02:04:27 PM
I'm 51 years old

Why do we let kiddies onto the forum.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

The gits will be digging up the fields at Techno Towers soon......
Oh....They've discovered that 'Stonehenge' was originally built,  half a mile from here.

Anyone want some of the original 'Bluestones'......There are LOADS here.

Cheers - The Ancient  One. ;) :D

Leman

Well thanks to this flippin pandemic I've been living in the Netherlands for 7 months now and still haven't made it to Arnhem. In fact, apart from a day trip to Leeuwarden some months back, I haven't been out of Groningen province.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'll take a Stele Phil - so long as you drag it here on wooden rollers
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

That's not going to happen. ;D ;D

I could probably manage a fist sized lump of the bluestone....
Some of the big bluestone rocks here would need a VERY big JCB.

And I'm not sure even those would manage.....They must weigh 30-40 (imperial) tons.
They really are huge.

Cheers - Phil  :)

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021