ECW project. For King and Parliament rules.

Started by sheepman 1, 15 April 2021, 07:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DecemDave

yes Brookes on one side Bagot on the other. 

Brasseys History of  Uniform's ECW goes for majority being blues and reds even early on as these are the cheapest once clothing was centrally made and issued . Its supported by some quotes on imports like enough madder (for red) arriving in Bristol to dye 58,000  coats.  Blue done from Indigo (imported in big quantities from the West Indies) or from locally available Woad hence predominant in SW armies.

Purple is just double dyed (I think the royal/expensive applied more in ancient times), so yes more expensive, but we know a few colonels put their hands in their pockets for the cause. Orange/Tawny is also double dyed and quite a few in Essex's army had that

P62 has a discussion on how they got the other colours (green, yellow, orange, grey) .   

the pricey one was black and there is a good discussion on that (not ECW specific) on another thread here.
I did a black coated Puritan regiment under Sir Victor Meldrew. 

fsn

Brooke's Regiments wore purple. (I think?)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sheepman 1

FierceKitty

The subject of black uniforms has arisen a few times. I've been wondering - wool was doubtless the cloth coats were made from, and black sheep exist. You can also make coats from leather, which is not hard to find in a suitably melanistic tone.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Cracking work on the figures, Dave. :-bd

Cheers - Phil. :)

DecemDave

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 May 2021, 03:10:37 AM
The subject of black uniforms has arisen a few times. I've been wondering - wool was doubtless the cloth coats were made from, and black sheep exist. You can also make coats from leather, which is not hard to find in a suitably melanistic tone.

Yes. ECW Officers could have anything they could afford.   But if its centrally produced for the ranks you need material for hundreds at a time, so cheap=good!   Brassey states the usual coats were of wool but then it gets complicated (as today) by method of manufacture and quality.  "Nice bit of wool broadcloth sir or will Kersey do?" So linen and canvas and mixtures all got used, coats might be lined or not etc.  Oddly Brassey states black coats were dyed but grey coats made of a white and black wool mix.  If true, there must be some problem with black wool on its own. The buff-coats of "fat" cavalry fame were mainly oxhide and naturally variable in colour usually near white to yellow ochre but rapidly stained in use which is a great excuse for sloppy painters like me.