Brexit Update

Started by Leon, 28 December 2020, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Quote from: paulr on 02 January 2021, 01:48:55 AM
I'm a little surprised Techno hasn't issued one of his 'politics' warnings, all have been very civil so far...

I have been keeping an eye on this.. ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

Leon

Quote from: John Cook on 02 January 2021, 02:08:08 AM
...I look forward to a trade deal with the US so I can buy stuff tariff-free from Good Ground and Tin Soldier.

I'd be on board with that but it would need some substantial changes from the previous TTIP agreement we were looking at in 2016.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

flamingpig0

Quote from: Leon on 02 January 2021, 04:00:54 PM
I'd be on board with that but it would need some substantial changes from the previous TTIP agreement we were looking at in 2016.

Whatever the benefit for aged wargamers such as myself I am sure that overall any trade deal would be massively to the  advantage of the US and in particular their more rapacious corporations.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Raider4

Quote from: John Cook on 31 December 2020, 02:23:08 PM
I predict that in twelve months time it will be as if nothing had changed. 

I agree, everything will mostly carry on as before, after the initial teething troubles are worked out/around.

There will be unintended consequences though.

steve_holmes_11

Today's quote:

"For you, Tommy, ze picnic is over".

Brexit: UK driver has ham sandwiches confiscated at Dutch border

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55622331

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 02 January 2021, 06:37:49 PM

Whatever the benefit for aged wargamers such as myself I am sure that overall any trade deal would be massively to the  advantage of the US and in particular their more rapacious corporations.

I'm no longer so confident about that hormone-treated beef.

flamingpig0

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 12 January 2021, 06:27:14 PM
I'm no longer so confident about that hormone-treated beef.

The really frightening thing is that the guy only ate chicken
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Techno II

It's all very well Jay Kay saying that's not a picture of him...But I'm not convinced ! :D

(Don't think I've ever heard anything by Jamiroquai.......I probably wouldn't like it, anyway. ;))

Cheers - Phil :)

sean66

First order got across the 'Brexit Border' into Bavaria
and no handling fees or tax  ;)
a very chilly -13 here this morning. -4 in my garage  :o
but new figures for a new project and hopefully into the painting competition.
Regards
Sean

Leman

History demonstrates that when countries focus on nationalism very poor decisions are made. [With thanks to the Tim Traveller, who has now moved to France to protect his freedom of movement.]
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

Quote from: Leman on 11 February 2021, 07:37:29 AM
History demonstrates that when countries focus on nationalism very poor decisions are made. [With thanks to the Tim Traveller, who has now moved to France to protect his freedom of movement.]

I worry that the "solution" worked out for the Ireland/Northern Ireland/GB border is going to unravel very quickly.

Gwydion

As we have made our USP Financial Services, I am a little concerned that Amsterdam has overtaken London as Europe's biggest share trading centre. Odd as Frankfurt or the Paris Bourse/Euronext were touted as the major competitors. Brexit is surprising lots of people.

Raider4

The English language, I expect.

Leman

Not really a surprise to me now I live over here. The Dutch have a way of organising things so that they run as smoothly as possible without tying it all up with too much red tape and formality. Couldn't believe it when the Maori was thrown out of the New Zealand parliament because he wasn't wearing a tie. Mark Rutte is seen as often without one as with.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

I've always the Dutch to be generally pretty relaxed and cool about things. Until they're not. At which point you find an excuse to be elsewhere pronto.