SCAMS....Email (without an apostrophe) and by phone

Started by Techno II, 13 December 2020, 11:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Classic !!  =)

Dearie, dearie me.....I know I shouldn't laugh...BUT.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Quote from: Gwydion on 01 February 2021, 12:21:14 PM

senders underlying email address is 'karlbigboy17@hotmail.co.uk;D (I know we live in an informal world but I don't see  NHS Management going for that one.

Ah! One of the Ruritanian Bigböys, no doubt. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

hammurabi70

AMAZON DELIVERY

We regularly buy through Amazon, which has been very helpful during the C-19 lockdown.  Today we had a text message stating they [the delivery company] were sorry we were out but they would deliver (again) tomorrow ... with a supplemental delivery charge.  We promptly texted back that we were in, and had been, all day and nobody had called; within the hour we got the delivery. 

Anybody else had this style of skimming some extra income?

Raider4

17 April 2021, 10:44:32 PM #18 Last Edit: 17 April 2021, 10:48:19 PM by Raider4
Not had it personally, but we were warned about this at work.

Fresh warnings over Royal Mail parcel scam. They mention they use DPD as well as Royal Mail.
Carlisle ex-police officer 'devastated' by £3k Royal Mail scam.

Techno II

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 17 April 2021, 10:25:38 PM
AMAZON DELIVERY
Anybody else had this style of skimming some extra income?

No.......That sounds rather 'iffy'.....I'd be tempted to report that to Amazon.

Von gets very similar email ones to the ones Martyn's just mentioned....she always treats those as scams and instantly deletes them.

We had a load of phone calls, a fortnight ago, purporting to be from Amazon...either thanking me for a huge order, that I hadn't made..or thanking me for renewing my Amazon Prime a/c, which I hadn't done....Obviously NOT Amazon....I just let the automated calls go through their messages until they finish, with the vain hope that it might cost them a few more pence by keeping them on the line each time.

GITS !! >:(

Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Famous last words but our 'Amazon' calls have stopped of late.

Techno II

The scam calls seem to go on a six to eight week cycle, Steve.....We probably (Hopefully) won't get any more for the next couple of months.

Cheers - Phil. :)

hammurabi70

Quote from: Techno II on 18 April 2021, 11:16:08 AM
The scam calls seem to go on a six to eight week cycle, Steve.....We probably (Hopefully) won't get any more for the next couple of months.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Hadn't noticed that before but it could well be so.  I had the Indian Call Centre for BT try today  He was non-plussed when I asked him which account?  Trick question, as I do not have a BT account.   ;D

Techno II

I believe the 'bits of kit' that send out ridiculous numbers of calls each second, are probably set up to call a limited number of area codes.....and these codes get changed every few days, so the b*stards can try and spread their contamination, all over the UK, bit by bit.

I only base this from conversations I've had with other folk in the locality. Who will obviously have the same area code as your truly.
When I'VE been 'suffering'.....other locals also seem to suffer as well.

Cheers - Phil.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 24 April 2021, 10:21:45 PM
Hadn't noticed that before but it could well be so.  I had the Indian Call Centre for BT try today  He was non-plussed when I asked him which account?  Trick question, as I do not have a BT account.   ;D

Maybe Covid will slow these guys down.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno II on 25 April 2021, 07:22:00 AM
I believe the 'bits of kit' that send out ridiculous numbers of calls each second, are probably set up to call a limited number of area codes.....and these codes get changed every few days, so the b*stards can try and spread their contamination, all over the UK, bit by bit.

I only base this from conversations I've had with other folk in the locality. Who will obviously have the same area code as your truly.
When I'VE been 'suffering'.....other locals also seem to suffer as well.

Cheers - Phil.

They used to be known as War Diallers, probably still are.
And yes the common policy is to saturate an area for a while then move to another.

Despite all their claims, the Telecomms providers ought to have no difficulty tracing these calls to source and putting a stop to them.
It's no different to them knowing how many pennies you've spent on phonecalls each month.
However they regard it as "Just business" and they fob you off with "Untraceable number".

pbeccas

We have been smashed with Indian scam callers pretending to be the tax department.  Unless the outstanding tax bill isn't paid immediately in iTunes cards the police will be around to arrest you.  It was funny because they called every extension at my police station.

Techno II

=O =O =O =O

Awesome !!!......I love it !!  :-bd

But asking to be paid in iTunes cards (??) seems a bit more than a  tad unusual !!  :o :o :o

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 25 April 2021, 09:51:28 AM
Despite all their claims, the Telecomms providers ought to have no difficulty tracing these calls to source and putting a stop to them.

I'm with you on that, Steve.

Cheers - Phil. ;)

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 25 April 2021, 09:51:28 AM
They used to be known as War Diallers, probably still are.
And yes the common policy is to saturate an area for a while then move to another.

There was an early Simpsons episode - Lisa's Date with Density (25 years ago now!) - where Homer finds an auto-dialler and rings everyone in town.

Thought it was funny at the time, now not so much. Reality has caught up and is much, much worse :(

pbeccas

Quote from: Techno II on 25 April 2021, 10:59:22 AM
=O =O =O =

But asking to be paid in iTunes cards (??) seems a bit more than a  tad unusual !!  :o :o :o

You won't believe how many elderly people fall for it.  Retail outlets are now required to warn elderly people who are buying a couple hundred dollars worth.