1809 Tyrolean insurgent

Started by golem, 29 November 2020, 04:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golem

A handful of figures of 1809 Tyrolean insurgent
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

That's an interesting request and quite a distinctive appearance!  I'll make a note of the suggestion and we'll see what we can do at some point.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

The picture by Knotel is based on the famous picture of Andreas Hofer.  I'm not sure it is typical of all Tyrolean insurgents.

Zippee

Agreed,
although some 'Hoffer' types based on that illustration would add the right touch and flavour for the Tyrol.

Mostly though we'd benefit from a small Insurgency Range of rather generic armed civilians in a mixture of headgear from corsehuts and kobluz to top hats. Bicornes to floppy hats and stocking caps. And a range of jackets from short bolleros to overcoats not dissimilar to the landwehr - in fact such a range would also be good for the 'worst sort of insurrection ' troops as well and should mix in well with Spanish guerillas.

It's worth remembering there were insurgencies all across Europe and the Balkans throughout the wars and many of the forces deployed along the fringes of the main campaigns were little more than ragged militia or armed civilians. I'd recommend not getting too caught up in specific regional dress and keeping the bulk rather generic.

I also think some British marines and Greek Light Infantry would mix well with such a range for the Mediterranean as would armed sailors and naval guns.

golem

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

BernaDotDotDot

I would love to throw in a vote for this.  The line would not have to be very large, as it is one of those armies with varying color palette.

As well many could likely be made using existing figures in the line, with hat swaps.  A little 1-3 man Hoffer set, some of those German style hats on a command set and then two march two fire. Hat swaps could double the line and off you go.

I am not sure it is actually as niche as it seems either.  The Piano set did quite well as far as I can tell, in 28mm.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!