1870-71 Winter Campaign Units

Started by Gareth121, 19 November 2020, 04:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Westmarcher on 19 November 2020, 06:55:18 PM
the FPW could be viewed as an entry point for gaming not only it but also the various European wars that immediately preceded it.

Notwithstanding what Andy (Leman) rightly says about uniform changes between wars, you're right: if you're not too fussy about headgear etc, you can get good value out of your late C19 armies:

Red-trousered French get to fight in the Crimea, and in Italy in 1859, and Mexico, and FPW in 1870;
Pickelhaube Prussians fight Danes in 1864, Austrians in 1866, and French in FPW;
Austrians fight Hungarians and Italians in 1848, French in 1859, Danes in 1864, Austrians in 1866
Italians fight Austrians in 1848 and 1859 and Russians in the Crimea
Russians fight Hungarians in 1848 and everyone in the Crimea
ACW Union troops are decent proxies for Danes, or for Greeks vs Turks in 1897
Red-fezzed Turks fight Russians in the Crimea, and in Bulgaria in 1828 and 1877, and Greeks in 1897

And as weaponry and tactics and doctrine change a lot in this period, each army and each war has its own character and presents its own tactical challenges.

Go for it!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331

Westmarcher

Great uniform info, Andy. Thanks. I should've known that military fashion would inevitably change over even 10 years or so (e.g., Napoleonic Wars, WW1 & WW2, etc.)!  :D  And even more conflicts to game than I thought, Chris.  :-bd

Thanks for the photos, Stewart. I was thinking more of 'Old School Toy Soldiers' actually (I was almost certain it was doctrine having only just read about it in The Waterloo Companion and recalling the British WW1 cavalry sword descriptive caption on a visit to the Museum in Edinburgh Castle  :-[ ).   One pose for all, ramrod straight, all at exactly the same angle, unlike the first photo you posted where no sword is at precisely the same angle even though the doctrinal pose has been assumed. If I had these figures I might bend some of the arms ever so slightly to make the line look more dynamic like your first photo. Plus, because that pose only represents one phase of the charge, like Paul, I tend to prefer more variety (e.g., Lady Butler's Scots Greys charge painting springs to mind).   :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

John Cook

20 November 2020, 10:54:32 AM #18 Last Edit: 20 November 2020, 10:57:45 AM by John Cook
Quote from: fsn on 20 November 2020, 06:57:37 AM
Seems to be a valid pose; I'm guessing you're not keen on its dynamism.

No, not keen at all I'm afraid.  Valid it may be but it is very untypical.  A cavalry charge, over say up to approximately 1.5km, would be conducted principally at the walk and trot, with the gallop and charge (as in your pictures) over the last 300-400m, comprising something like 40 seconds, otherwise the horses would be blown before they reached their target.  The rest of the time cavalry walked when it moved, but mainly it stood around, as far out of harms way as possible, waiting to be told to do something, like the French Cuirassier FPW1.  I dislike charging cavalry poses (and charging and standing firing infantry for that matter) as much as others dislike prone LMG figures.  I prefer all my cavalry to be walking or trotting with shouldered weapons.

mmcv

If you were really mad you could have two different bases per unit. One for movement one for charging/combat where they get the swords stuck in. Seems excessive though!

The figures on the base are always a representation and never going to be accurate for all situations, and often using a well-formed line of charging figures or a looser order of different poses can represent different levels of professionalism, discipline, or elan. This can be a nice way to represent unit stats or game rules without having to refer to a separate OOB or unit label all the time.

I like the energy in the pose here, it may be a little wrong for walking about the battlefield, but adds a sense of drama to the charge when they launch themselves into combat, which is often where the excitement of the game flows from anyway.

Gareth121

In a perfect world I would have my heavy cavalry on standing horses with shouldered swords. I'm not fussed about the leg positions of standing horses they can be all the same but I would prefer some variation in the horses' head positions. Light and medium cavalry for me can be a bit more animated, but not the full charge pose. I would also, in said perfect world, have them modeled in cavalry great coats for that desolate, chilled to the bone look. However, these are well sculpted and detailed figures that paint up very nicely and I am pleased with them

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

20 November 2020, 01:49:07 PM #22 Last Edit: 20 November 2020, 01:51:16 PM by Leman
Oh John, you will grow out of it as you get older and realise if you want to do X and only Y figure is available then just go with it. There are some casul looking cuirassiers in the Red Eagle 10mm range.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

OldenBUA

20 November 2020, 04:49:47 PM #23 Last Edit: 20 November 2020, 04:55:42 PM by OldenBUA
Proper flag in the background there.  :-bd

Oh, and some figures too. Well, they're also nice.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

John Cook

Quote from: Leman on 20 November 2020, 01:49:07 PM
Oh John, you will grow out of it as you get older and realise if you want to do X and only Y figure is available then just go with it. There are some casul looking cuirassiers in the Red Eagle 10mm range.

Is that right?  Well, I'm approaching 74 years old and have been wargaming for 55 of them.  I think I have made my mind up about what I prefer.  I also think that replies like yours run the risk of being mistaken for condescending superiority and have the potential to cause serious offence.  I am not offended though and assume you posted in haste without thinking it through ;)

John Cook

21 November 2020, 03:32:21 AM #25 Last Edit: 21 November 2020, 03:43:55 AM by John Cook
Quote from: Gareth121 on 20 November 2020, 12:37:38 PM
In a perfect world I would have my heavy cavalry on standing horses with shouldered swords. I'm not fussed about the leg positions of standing horses they can be all the same but I would prefer some variation in the horses' head positions. Light and medium cavalry for me can be a bit more animated, but not the full charge pose. I would also, in said perfect world, have them modeled in cavalry great coats for that desolate, chilled to the bone look. However, these are well sculpted and detailed figures that paint up very nicely and I am pleased with them

I agree completely.  Pendraken's figures are everything you say they are and you have certainly done them justice, as usual.  

John Cook

Quote from: mmcv on 20 November 2020, 11:50:50 AM
If you were really mad you could have two different bases per unit. One for movement one for charging/combat where they get the swords stuck in. Seems excessive though!

More than excessive.  That would indeed be the path to madness, and bankruptcy ;D

Gareth121

My Franco_Prussian War project is moving on, all be it at a slow pace. I have almost completed the Prussian force (just some artillery batteries to go now) and am working on the 2nd and final French corps (23rd). These are the 2 btns of Fusilier Marins that form part of the 1st brigade of the 1st division in the above corps.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Just keep pluging  away - looking good !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II