Yom Kippur war 1973

Started by Sunray, 03 November 2020, 08:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

How stands CWC rules to game this conflict?

Aksu

We've used them in the past. For getting the players used to the rules I ran a Golan scenario with IDF tank coy in hull down on a ridge and a T-55 fleet trying to cross an anti tank ditch and advance. It makes for a good (very!) one sided game to understand the mechanics.
Throw in arty and air rules according to taste.
Cheers,
Aksu

sean66

I've used the CWC rules to play a few of the Isreali wars.
Dug in anything is hard to dislodge (Infantry in a BUA is really hard to winkle out).
Regards
Sean

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Done a couple of 1 offs, gives a good game. The M51 Shermans are particularly effective, but rather fragile.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Aksu

04 November 2020, 07:55:07 AM #4 Last Edit: 04 November 2020, 07:58:25 AM by Aksu
For what it's worth, I found two old battle reports from our club's old blog
http://gemigabok.blogspot.com/2011/06/cold-war-commander-test-game-part-1.html
http://gemigabok.blogspot.com/2011/06/cold-war-commander-test-game-part-2.html
These must have been from our first game test nine years ago, two games in one evening.
We then played a big multiplayer Western Europe game on three nights. The BWehr infantry player was shell-shocked for a long time after managing to bunch up one of his battalions in a map grid where the Soviets had planned a rocket strike. Those battle reports seem to be on the same blog.
Cheers,
Aksu

Sunray

Thank you for these replies and comments.

I enjoyed the cold war test game in 1/300. BAOR Chieftans getting an outing in liew of IDF Centurians.  :)

Interesting it is the Syrian front that was the game of choice.  As anyone gamed the Egyptians after the crossed the canal?  Or indeed the later stages in the Canal Zone with the IDF counter attack.

Pendraken has a neat range of 1973 Arab/Israeli AFVs .  If 10mm figures existed, and with CWC -or any other rules- would you be temped to game it?

kustenjaeger

I'd happily try a game in 10mm for 1973. A few manufacturers already do kit and figures that would work.  I'd start small though.

Edward .

sean66

Quote from: Sunray on 05 November 2020, 09:44:02 PM

Interesting it is the Syrian front that was the game of choice.  As anyone gamed the Egyptians after the crossed the canal?  Or indeed the later stages in the Canal Zone with the IDF counter attack.

Sunray if you go onto the Old Blitzkrieg commanders site. On the Forum under the Cold War Commander you will find loads of info.
I seem to remember there was a few threads about the middle eastern conflicts.
Regards
Sean

Sunray

sean66

Hope you found what you are looking for.  :D
I think the site isn't used verey often anymore itll be a shame to lose it,
it had a ton load of information (I'm sure with the new CWC book out soon then the FWC book
possibly next year a lot of the information will be asked about again)
Regards
Sean

Sunray

Quote from: sean66 on 10 November 2020, 09:16:43 AM
Hope you found what you are looking for.  :D
I think the site isn't used verey often anymore itll be a shame to lose it,
it had a ton load of information (I'm sure with the new CWC book out soon then the FWC book
possibly next year a lot of the information will be asked about again)
Regards
Sean

Yes indeed Sean. Found a great Golan Heights battle from Steve (Sound Officers Call) dating from 18/1/2012.  As you say, a ton of info.
I loved his debrief after the game. He chides himself for not debussing his Syrian infantry earlier.  However, his origional choice reflects Soviet armoured doctrine in the early 1970s- using the BMP as "a vehicle infantry fights from" as opposed to the APC "battle taxi".

The CWC rules and the game reflected what happend in the Yom Kippur War, and prompted a major revision of the role of the BMP - and indeed the plethora of MICVs the west was rushing into service.

Interesting point you make about FIBUA.  It is an elite skill set calling for small well trained teams, who have had loads of practice. In the Afgan, the LAW 66  was reborne as a door knocker/demolition round.  Perhaps extra dice value for such units?

There is indeed a lot of very useful material in old BKC site.  And as we upgrade the actrion from 6mm to 10mm with the new forthcoming Yom Kippur and Cold War ranges, it would be a shame to neglect such a resource.  Thanks again.

sean66

Sunray
you are welcome.
the Soviet Doctrine did change after the '73 war instead of fighting from the "Taxi" It was used to bring troops to the front of the defence's then they debussed to take the defence's
As I said I keep going back to the old forum when I have a query then spend many hours lost in it lol.
Regards
Sean

Sunray

Quote from: sean66 on 18 November 2020, 09:53:01 AM
Sunray
you are welcome.
the Soviet Doctrine did change after the '73 war instead of fighting from the "Taxi" It was used to bring troops to the front of the defence's then they debussed to take the defence's
As I said I keep going back to the old forum when I have a query then spend many hours lost in it lol.
Regards
Sean

This has key implications for CWC rules on Yom Kippur.   Arab infantry MUST stay with BMP.  We with hindsight know the errors of this doctrine, but it was how they were trained.  Same applied to Soviet/WP games prior to 1973.