Tollense - revised view

Started by Ithoriel, 01 November 2020, 03:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

It is being reported that Tollense is now being considered as a possible massacre of a trading caravan rather than a battle site.

Which I had suggested to friends as a possibility when the thing first hit the headlines. I'm beginning to regret letting "wiser heads" persuade me I was wrong :)

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/59912
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Would lancea, albeit a little anachronistic, or even λόγχη suit sir better? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Wow.
Its a robbery!
Must have been worth millions in todays money.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Greatly. But, as the writings of Dr Johnson so well demonstrate, English is not Latin.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Ithoriel

I thought we'd pretty much agreed that, for the great mass of people, a pointy stick is a pointy stick, whatever it's length, and that therefore, with the honourable exception of a tiny minority of the nerdiest MilHist nerds, people consider all words describing a pointy stick as interchangeable?   

FierceKitty

If you'd grown up in South Africa like me and seen what a primitive and undisciplined lingo like Afrikaans does to people's minds, you'd be more grateful to English for what it offers you!

Waremblem

Quote from: FierceKitty on 01 November 2020, 03:59:53 AM
"Lances"? I don't think so.

LOL - that was my first thought as well! It immediately made me suspicious. I suspect many ancient battles would contain the bodies of large numbers of non-combatants. In many cases, these were nomadic tribes moving together in a group.