Cossacks

Started by FierceKitty, 26 October 2020, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

The peasant running with a topknot and wearing only breeches (old Japanese range) easily converts to an excellent topless Zaporozhian Cossack. The Bonnacht axeman in the late medieval range needs only a little epoxy on his shaggy head to turn into a Cossack melee figure wearing one of those od Ukrainian "pumpkin" hats. Add the fact that there is an axeman already in the Polish range, and that Irregular make a few 10mm Cossacks too, and a fine opponent for Turks and Poles is very feasible.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Peterem

Nice idea. Can I ask what you'd suggest for cavalry?  Mounted Cossacks appear in numerous Pendraken ranges and periods, but all look a bit too uniform or heavily armoured to me...

Peter, London

FierceKitty

Well, IM make a few, and I used some of the horse archers from the Pendraken medieval early Islamics (AB 7). But I went for Zaporozhki, who were mainly infantry.

OldenBUA

Cossacks from the Seven years war Russian SYR29 mixed with Cossack style cavalry P12 from the renaissance Polish would be a good choice for cavalry, I would think.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

FierceKitty

Damn! Those SYW figures are rather good....

FierceKitty

26 October 2020, 03:39:51 PM #6 Last Edit: 26 October 2020, 03:41:44 PM by FierceKitty
Dismounted dragoons in cloth caps are good too. And YW4 Croatian cavalry would make convincing Don Cossacks, I think.

Sandinista

I find that the Polish Pancerni figures rather useful, I have mixed these in various 16th/17th century armies. I can imagine they would work for armoured cossacks too

Cheers
Ian

FierceKitty

Pancerni actually means "armoured Cossacks". cf. Panzer.