War of the Worlds 10mm Scenario

Started by MSawyer, 14 October 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSawyer

Hi there. I'm fairly new to 10mm wargaming (mainly WWII, Korea, and Colonial ;)), but I got an idea for a Sci-Fi scenario. It would be based on H.G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds. It's kinda vague right now, but it would primarily be set at the turn of the 19th to 20th Centuries, but could easily be set in 1938 or 1953. For a 1897/1898 type of battle, British troops and equipment from the Boer War could be used. While a 1930s or 1950s battle could use WWII or Modern troops and equipment. Tripods are available through Pendraken of course, and Pegasus Hobbies has 1/144 scale diorama of the 1953 film, complete with Martian War Machines! If anyone is interested in the idea, my father, an avid board wargamer, composed a scenario of a battle based on the 1938 radio broadcast which I might be able to share. :)
Keep your stick on the ice.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

For the 30's scenario you would need late WW1 stuff, although the putees would be wrong. It's still mostly Lewis guns 18pdrs and SMLE with indiviual clip pouches.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Sounds good.

Something I've thought about a few times. I've actually got 3 Pendraken tripods all nicely painted, and a bunch of the colonial-era troops still sitting in their baggies. Was going to use the Martian Empires rules for this.

Also thought about doing a 50's-style 'B' movie, but in 6mm using H&R WW2 troops for the US National Guard, called out to deal with the flying saucers, tripods and giant mutated insects in the Nevada desert. This time using the Future War Commander rules.

As usual, neither of these projects has never even come close to completion.

mmcv

Interesting idea! The Spanish Civil War range has some good options for 1930's era stuff, especially if you're doing any sort of irregulars or civilians. I'm using a lot of it for an alt-history 1930's project myself.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello MSawyer

There are two sets of rules written to cover this scenario:-

https://freewargamesrules.fandom.com/wiki/Tripods_and_Hussars

https://freewargamesrules.fandom.com/wiki/A_Fistful_of_Tripods

The second set has a specific part to deal with a 1930s invasion.

Of course you can just cherry-pick the bits you like and transplant them into your favourite rules system.  :D

Cheers

hammurabi70

I think I want to go back in the Victorian era so I can have brilliant white pith helmets and red tunics; a landing in Africa or India?

sean66

Zulu's, Brits in Pith helmets and Martians  :-

"stop firing those ray guns at me!!!!!!!!!!!!"  ;D

regards
Sean

pierre the shy

"sentries report tripods to the north west sir....lots of them!"  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

sean66

Have you watched the documentary
"The Great Martian war 1913-1917"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Martian_War_1913–1917
very interesting.
Regards
Sean

Leman

I didn't get that BBC version. It seemed to veer away from H G Wells pretty quickly and then became terribly mawkish. Waste of a good cast in my opinion.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sean66

Quote from: Leman on 22 October 2020, 07:17:23 AM
I didn't get that BBC version. It seemed to veer away from H G Wells pretty quickly and then became terribly mawkish. Waste of a good cast in my opinion.

I think the premise was more about if we'd had the Martian War instead of the Great War.

Regards
Sean

Leman

I do wonder if we will ever get a version where the army is in the home service red and Thunderchild actually goes head to head with tripods.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

Quote from: Leman on 24 October 2020, 07:44:24 AM
I do wonder if we will ever get a version where the army is in the home service red and Thunderchild actually goes head to head with tripods.

Hated the BBC version - very poorly done, and full of revisionist angst.

Currently there's "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds - FULL SHOW" available on Youtube. I won't post the link because I strongly suspect that this is a limited-time only thing. Watched it last night. Includes the Thunder Child, but (spoiler alert!) the artilleryman is not in red.

If you like that sort of thing, try and get hold of the second volume of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic book series. A most excellent re-telling of WotW.

Quote from: Raider4 on 25 October 2020, 08:02:11 AM
the artilleryman is not in red.

Probably cause the Gooners wore BLUE !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 22 October 2020, 07:17:23 AM

Yes we watched the first episode with great excitement - this faded rather rapidly and we stopped after the second episode
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson