British Infantry, Anglo-Zulu War, 1879

Started by MSawyer, 07 October 2020, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSawyer

07 October 2020, 10:52:45 PM Last Edit: 07 October 2020, 11:59:50 PM by MSawyer
First post here. Some of my British Infantry from the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. Painted with Vallejo and Reaper model acrylics. Comments and Constructive Criticism always welcome. :)

Keep your stick on the ice.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

MSawyer

Techno II

08 October 2020, 07:13:53 AM #4 Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 07:15:24 AM by Techno II
Welcome, MS.  :-h....(I think I've said this somewhere else.....But what the heck !  ;))

They look damn fine to me.

Cheers - Phil :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Looking good - remeber that the Zulu war is the only late 19th century fought by the British in Red, Indian army was in Khaki by 1875.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DaveH

Nice work and a reminder that I've got to get on with mine.

Quote from: ianrs54 on 08 October 2020, 07:39:44 AM
Looking good - remeber that the Zulu war is the only late 19th century fought by the British in Red, Indian army was in Khaki by 1875.

Not entirely true - Egypt in 1882 and the First Boer War of 1880-81 were still in Red Coats and I think they actually wore red for a couple of the battles in the 1884-85 Sudan campaign.

hammurabi70

My understanding is that those colours were used in the ZULU and ASHANTI wars only, which I have found a limiting deterrent to creating such an army.  I would be very interested to know about other wars when the pre-khaki uniforms were still be worn.

Raider4

They look great!

Although . . . as I understand it helmets would be a light brown colour, having been stained with tea, rather that bright white.

The Perry's have a uniform guide to the Sudan, which incudes at least some troops in scarlet.

DaveH

08 October 2020, 10:43:44 AM #10 Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 10:49:58 AM by DaveH
Yes, in the Sudan the battle of Ginnis is believed to the last time the British fought in red coats so 1885

Battle of Ginnis

Scorpio_Rocks

Looking great

Whether to "dirty up" the pith helmets (as the troops often did with tea, coffee, dirt, mud, etc) or leave "parade-ground" white is a personal choice - I believe Kharki coloured helmets were routinely issued after the Zulu war.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

MSawyer

08 October 2020, 04:44:20 PM #12 Last Edit: 08 October 2020, 04:49:32 PM by MSawyer
Quote from: Raider4 on 08 October 2020, 10:41:45 AM
They look great!

Although . . . as I understand it helmets would be a light brown colour, having been stained with tea, rather that bright white.

The Perry's have a uniform guide to the Sudan, which incudes at least some troops in scarlet.

Good to know. Do you know what would be a good color to simulate that? Thank you as well!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

MSawyer