Libertad! Overview

Started by Itinerant Hobbyist, 01 September 2020, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I would have thought that Line Commanders could work equally well in WWII. Just give it a go and see what you think.

Big Insect

Quote from: JeffNNN on 04 October 2020, 08:50:45 AM
I like the sound of the conversion kits, though as all my SCW stuff is 20mm it's academic only.

With reference to "line commanders" is this meant to be a specifically SCW thing? If so I can't see any particular justification for it. Or is it something which will be introduced elsewhere as well, e.g CWC?

There is no reason why you couldn't use Line Commander in other lists in BKCIV.
It was designed to facilitate the use of large infantry formations - and to keep the game flowing. I had originally conceived it as part of a prototype Great War Commander set of rules (still a very long way off being ready) but saw similarities in certain later wars - such as Russian Civil War, Winter War (for the Soviets); early PLA Cold War armies (as in Korea) or Iranian Islamic forces in the Iran-Iraq war, but in our play-tests it also worked equally well for large armoured formations.
It could easily be transferred to CWC (or BKCIV) more generally.

It is not a super mechanism - it has its disadvantages - but my hope was it might speed up play in bigger games - but also give a level of realism around junior commanders leading formations into combat.

I hope that helps?
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Certainly a useful insight into your thinking behind the rule Mark.

Jordi

Hi, a little question.
Why there is no bt-5 in the fascist lists?
I toni the spanish fascist captured some bt-5 during the war.
Thanks.

fred.

I suppose it's worth saying that army lists in the BKC world aren't like army lists in GW games. BKC lists are to allow you to compose typical forces for the different nations in the different theatres. By their nature they have to be fairly generic and more of a guide than a hard limit. 

If you have specific info for the troops used in a battle then there has always been the acceptance that this can be used instead of the army lists. 

There are stats for the BT5s so I'd feel free to use them as appropriate. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jordi

Ok.
Thanks.
That was the option we take. Simply take the bt-5 stats of other list.

Big Insect

Quote from: Jordi on 19 January 2024, 03:16:43 PMOk.
Thanks.
That was the option we take. Simply take the bt-5 stats of other list.

That is absolutely right - and as Fred states, the lists are much more of a guide than specific.
Also in BKC/CWC each table top vehicle or stand of infantry represents multiple vehicles or a larger infantry formation in real life. So you might find that in this scenario you might end up with just 1 or 2 captured BT-5s - depending upon how many were captured, and also what state they were in after capture. Often captured vehicles (armour in-particular) are often harder to maintain in active service if you don't have a supply of parts/spares. So you could classify the captured BT-5s as Unreliable (-5pts) and that can simulate break-downs etc. Just a thought.
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Jordi

Ok. Thanks for the answer and for your time Mark. :)