Peninsular Naps Wagons!

Started by Leon, 29 July 2020, 11:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: Theo on 11 April 2021, 06:17:42 PM
Have these been released please? And if yes where might they be found in the catalog?

These are part of our Peninsular project so they won't be released until the other ranges are complete and we've sent all of the pledges out to the backers.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Theo

Ah good to know! Many thanks Leon! They look spiffing and I am sure many of us will find use for them for other periods as well.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

Orcs

Quote from: Theo on 12 April 2021, 06:41:31 AM
Ah good to know! Many thanks Leon! They look spiffing and I am sure many of us will find use for them for other periods as well.
Yep, Mine are for Marlburian
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Indeed; mine will appear in the SYW, and my wars of German unification. Might also appear as civilian wagons either commandeered or assisting refugees in early WWI.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DecemDave

Given that they are 10mm scale and that I am sceptical on the depths of wagon research behind illustrations in Funcken, Osprey, Hourtouille et al, is there any reason they could not be used in almost any period from Medieval to the horse drawn support of the early Wehrmacht? 

I have some SYW2 I got to go with the non-kickstarter and I see no reason why the good old tumbrel cart EC29 (or 3!) couldnt grace a Spanish hillside.  The real problems start when you put figures on the same base dont they? 

Anyway, I obviously need to grab a few of the peninsular wagons when they are publicly available because I seem to have not included them in my non kickstarter order.  Duh!!  8->

DecemDave

Actually even more Duh!  I did order some, in a supplementary because Leon kept adding more and yet more goodies after my first pledge. 

John Cook

A quick look on-line seems to suggest that the design of waggons and carts hasn't changed fundamentally since medieval times, at least.  At some stage there's a change from solid to spoked wheels, and the latter seem to become lighter and with more spokes, but other than that, not much that I can see.   

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 12 April 2021, 06:17:40 PM
A quick look on-line seems to suggest that the design of waggons and carts hasn't changed fundamentally since medieval times, at least.  At some stage there's a change from solid to spoked wheels, and the latter seem to become lighter and with more spokes, but other than that, not much that I can see.   

Then you get a change from Spoked wooden wheels with Iron shodding to rubber shodding , then the pnuematic tyre.

When I went to Roumania in 2001 they were using typical russian style panje wagons just with normal steel wheels and a pneumatic tyre 

- Something for the post war range perhaps,
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dragoon

55BC Brit chariots had spoked wheels because it was easier to get a round wheel with strength  as speed and not load was needed.
Solid wheels were easy to make by a farmer where a wheel write cost silver. Wether wheels of any construction were shod I don't know.
This would apply for the next 1900 years, depending on where you lived but time wise wasn't relevant it wat what you wanted to pay and if you employed a smith.
Iron was a problem in the Britain it was usually recycled from other items knives and Swords being needed in post Roman times until after the ECW.
I doubt it was swords into ploughshares even then.
Regards

Mike L