Medieval Indian armies in 10mm

Started by sultanbev, 13 February 2023, 01:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

QuoteTuran, Cimmeria: It's all there on the great steppe.
Fair few leagues 'twixt those two mind.

Rhys

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 19 February 2023, 12:20:17 PMTuranic Armour

https://periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2015/10/07/turanic-arms-and-armour-part-i/

Turan, an area in Central Asia north and east of Persia.

Turanic becomes the term for Central Asian nomadic origin

It's all compatible with OT4 Renaissance Ottoman Sipahi Cavalry

Thanks for that great resource Steve.
However I'll point out that the Turanic armies were not just lancers. There is nothing suitable for the bow armed armoured
As I suggested before, if Leons tame minions were to do a single pack along the lines of the TB sculpts (horse/legs and figures). If you have 3 horses (scale armour, quilted armour and unarmoured) and 3 scale armoured tops (lance, bow and sword with conical shields), thats 9 different possible poses. Add in the same tops with quilted armour and thats 18 poses. Two packs then covers ~4 centuries of armies for an area from Egypt to Afganistan.
I always laugh when I see questions on why Napoleonic sculpts don't include some obscure shako cords with a differnt pompom....
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

steve_holmes_11

QuoteThanks for that great resource Steve.
However I'll point out that the Turanic armies were not just lancers. There is nothing suitable for the bow armed armoured
As I suggested before, if Leons tame minions were to do a single pack along the lines of the TB sculpts (horse/legs and figures). If you have 3 horses (scale armour, quilted armour and unarmoured) and 3 scale armoured tops (lance, bow and sword with conical shields), thats 9 different possible poses. Add in the same tops with quilted armour and thats 18 poses. Two packs then covers ~4 centuries of armies for an area from Egypt to Afganistan.
I always laugh when I see questions on why Napoleonic sculpts don't include some obscure shako cords with a differnt pompom....
My setting is about 200 years later than the one discussed in this thread.

I've been happy with the TB line horse archers for my needs.

That would be 2 different packs from 2 different sculptors:
  Ottomans for the armoured cavalry and TB line for the light archers.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

You could always look at putting the spear armed camel rider top half onto the horse archer bottoms

There might be more options when the TB Mongols are released. From memory the Mongols had a pack of separate round shields

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

sultanbev

Well, this has sparked some good commentary.
Have now got the Osprey MAA on the medieval Indians, being a David Nicolle book it typically lacks details such as army sizes, unit sizes, command structures, troop ratios and so on.

Looking at the MeG and DBM army lists, it seems most armies would need:
elephants with howdah, archer & javelin armed crew
armoured elephants with howdah, archer & javelin armed crew
Mamluk cavalry with bow and spear, barded horse???? (can't see barded horses in both army lists)
Jagirdar cavalry with bow and spear
Islamic Mongols with bow and spear (1294-1311AD only)

foot archers
foot swordsmen in some kind of armour
Hindu Paik/Habishi guard infantry (1266AD+)
spearmen with pavise and some armour
light cavalry with javelin
foot javelinmen
grenadier, fireworks and rocket skirmishers
Rathors Hindu tribute lancer cavalry (1316-1388AD)

I haven't accessed other rules' army lists.

Rhys

A quick look at the DBA lists yields even less information...

A long time ago I built a DBM later Muslim Indian army in 15mm using Essex figures. While pre me having a digital camera, I've found soem pictures a friend toof after he brought the army off me which show my interpretation of the elephants and the Jagirdar cavalry. The Howdahs were plasticard and I think I made the umbrella shapes with a thermoset clay.

And this is what I would like to see in a 10mm Muslim cavalry pack.

This was a fun army to paint (It won at least 1 best painted award) and also to play on the table (I won a DBR competition using them as Rajputs, don't underestimate a large number of rubbish bow ats a second line).
Delete where applicable.

fred.

The TB Line figures are very close to the above, between the Islamic and Eastern European ranges. 

Given all the riders are torsos upwards, it feels some mix and match to get different looks would be possible, along with a few minor adjustments of riders. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Rhys

Just found this illustration which shows Muslim indian figures from 1450, though I doubt that they changed much in the the preceeding century.

So, which tops and bottoms can we mix and match to simulate these mounted figures?
Delete where applicable.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Do you not see the image? It's a lovely, glorious image. The colour, the dynamism. Magnificent!

It is true, that only those whose heart is true, whose brain is nimble, whose virility is evident, can see the image for it is a magical, wonderous image.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

For the less than worthy. 

That lancer seems to be heading for a Harold Godwinson experience. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Rhys

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 22 February 2023, 11:03:48 AMERm which illustration ?
So it seems that an Image I linked to which showed in the preview pain, then was there when I refreshed the page after I loaded the post and looked fine last night, wasn't there.......
Delete where applicable.