Scaled measuring sticks.

Started by steve_holmes_11, 17 September 2023, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

I parked this in WW2, but it's really a generic request.

Usual disclaimers apply: Probably impractical / uneconomic...

The suggestion is for a manufacturer of smaller than average figures to provide scaled down measuring sticks.
This assists gamers who wish to play "big figure" rules as a condensed ground scale.

This may be my brain playing tricks, but I recall Architects having rulers marked in various scales.
These don't really work for gamers because the scales are things like 1:100, 1:200 necessary to fit a big building onto a sheet of A3.

I think some gamers would welcome a 12 inch (MDF?) ruler in either 2/3 or 1/2 scale.
And I wonder whether Pendraken's mighty laser machines could manage the cutting and inscription.

Just to be clear a 1/2 scale 12" ruler would have 24 half inch divisions marked on it.
A 2/3 scale 12" rules would have 18 2/3 inch divisions marked.
In each case, gamers would treat each division as inches.

Commercially, demand might be quite small.
Gamers being what they are will inevitably want variants "Can you do an 18 inch ruler in 4/5 scale".
I have searched for similar commercial offerings with no success, so this would be a unique offering as far as I'm aware.

sultanbev

Surely it is easy enough to make your own?
A manufacturer is unlikely to know how all gamers scale down their games so not really commercial.
But Pendraken do have a custom size base request in their catalogue, maybe Leon can make you some specific ones?
https://www.pendraken.co.uk/custom-sizes-contact-us-for-details-5283-p.asp

fsn

Architectural Scale Ruler, Aluminum Triangular Scale Ruler Metric 1:20, 1:25, 1:50, 1:75, 1:100, 1:125 Standard 12 Inch for Architects, Students, Draftsman and Engineers-Black

£9.99

Artway Scale Ruler - Metric - 300mm with 8 Different Scales from 1:1 to 1:2500

£4.99
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Corso

2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Whilst I've made some of these - they are a bit fiddly to get accurate. I suspect these would be pretty quick and easy to setup in the laser cutting software, so might well be worth offering - though quite how many scales might be wanted is the tricky bit!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

QuoteWhilst I've made some of these - they are a bit fiddly to get accurate. I suspect these would be pretty quick and easy to setup in the laser cutting software, so might well be worth offering - though quite how many scales might be wanted is the tricky bit!
I figured that in this digital age, several ratios could be designed, and produced on demand.

As above, those Architectural ratios aren't helpful for squashing a 6x4 foot battlefield onto a 5 foot long dining table.

Leon

They're reasonably easy to draw up in the laser software although I'm not sure how commercially viable they'd be.  I've considered measuring sticks for rulesets in the past, based on base width for example, but never moved forward with them.

If you'd like something making as a custom job though, just shoot me an email and we'll work it out.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Norm

A useful generic one would be a stick converting inch to half inch - I think that would be popular with the Black Powder gamers ..... though of course some do inch to centimetre!

Probably those two sticks would cover a host of inch based rules.

FierceKitty

Surely the easy way to make one would be to get hold of a moderately-sized snake and squirt quick-set epoxy down its gullet? Hold it firmly and stretched out (a wise precaution if you've gone for a macho venomous type) until the resin sets, and maybe paint a lacquer finish over the scales.

I don't know why you fellows want scales on your measuring sticks, but wth, some of you prefer 10mm terrain and like to play fantasy, so there's clearly a whole world out there I don't understand.

Afterthought: DON'T LET PHIL TRY THIS!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

My answer... none of the above!

3 options here.

1) Keep the rules as they are, just use more 10mm.
This is my prefered option, especially with pre 20th century. Regiment of foot says 4 figures on a 30mm base. I base 10 to 16 10mm; it's the base that counts.

2) Rules are in inches*.
Just read centimetres instead.You automatically reduce the measurements to 40% with no work.

3) Just use 10mm figures.
Vertical scale tends to ve out of whack with horizontal,  so reduce the problem.

*except for base size! Why do rules writers do this?
"The unit should be
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

John Cook

I tend to agree.  It seems to me that this is a perceived problem which doesn't exist, or I'm missing something fundamental.  For the last 50 years I've been using a normal tape measure for movement and ranges, metric for as long as I can remember.  How I've managed all this time is a mystery.

Norm

Two of my rule sets use base widths as a standard unit of measurement, I have painted dowel as measuring sticks for those two games (50mm and 60mm units of measurement).

Leman

In the Pony Wars section of the Baccus catalogue you can download a free 2/3 Inch scale ruler. I find this great on my 3'wide table. Sometimes to scale a battlefield from a scenario map (often 6x4 or 7x5) I use a battlemat I ordered 5 years ago marked in 8" squares, and then use the 2/3 ruler when playing.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno 3

QuoteSurely the easy way to make one would be to get hold of a moderately-sized snake and squirt quick-set epoxy down its gullet? Hold it firmly and stretched out (a wise precaution if you've gone for a macho venomous type) until the resin sets, and maybe paint a lacquer finish over the scales.

Afterthought: DON'T LET PHIL TRY THIS!

Hey !....I've caught and released a live adder, without getting bitten. (I haven't cut myself for for MONTHS I don't need a scalpel anymore..the skin on the back of my hands is so fragile the dogs' claws open a wound with the slightest touch.) =) 
I'll do this later

FierceKitty

Lee rolled over in bed once and bashed my elbow while I was scratching my nose. Blood everywhere - you'd have been proud of me.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.