The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

22 January 2022, 06:30:01 PM #555 Last Edit: 25 January 2022, 12:29:48 PM by Leon
Thanks!

Some Achaeans for my Trojan War project:

Struggling to get motivated for 10mm painting at the moment so trying something different. Been reading a lot of RR Haywood's The Undead series (highly recommended) so in a real zombie mood. Decided to tackle my Zombicide Black Plague box again for another batch of zombies:

And spent this afternoon going through the rest of the box prepping the minis:

I mixed a base coat primer for the zombies of Israeli sand, skeleton bone and a dash of necrotic flesh, then once dried, dry brushed a few white highlights followed by a dark tone wash all over. Makes them much easier to paint up when the time comes. Each batch will have a different colour scheme so when all mixed together for the game they look nice and varied.

The heroes are primed in black with the white dry brush in the middle.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Thanks. Another batch of zombies down:

One from the last batch has gone AWOL though. Hopefully he turns up before the dog finds him and mistakes him for a chew...

fred.

That's a lot of Zombies  :o

Good plan painting them in batches, then mixing them up. Probably the best mix between variety and speed. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Another batch of zombies down. Three more batches to go then onto the major characters.

Also found the missing one, he'd hidden in the underside of the plastic tray. Sneaky zombie.

mmcv

P.S. is the sizing on these images okay? Noticed on the new site some of the image ratios are a bit off on mobile browsers

fred.

I've noticed that the ratios can look odd on photos when viewed on my phone, but fine on my iPad. Rarely check on a computer, but I think they are fine there. 

When I add an image, I set the width to 800 pixels, but leave the height. This looks fine when I am posting. But after when I view the post on my phone some of the images can look distorted. 

If I don't add the 800 width setting, then the photos are huge. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

25 January 2022, 08:32:30 AM #563 Last Edit: 25 January 2022, 08:49:44 AM by mmcv
Yeah, the ones I added the 800 to are the ones that came out skewed which makes me wonder is it no longer keeping the aspect ratio like before. As a test.

Added without any sizing:

Added with width 800:

This actually looks okay but might just be the shape of the image supports it better than some others.

Added with height 800:

Added with width 1200:

Aha....it looks like the new forum sets a default max size to 1000 even if you don't provide any dimensions. So we can maybe do away with the old 800 thing as it skews the ratios if they would go beyond 1000 in one dimension, and just leave it to it as the 1000 default will fit on most screens, though does require a bit more scrolling on a mobile.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Another batch of zombies I finished recently.

I was all geared up for doing some more painting tonight but really lacking the motivation. Added a few blobs to one of the character pieces from this set but just can't quite motivate myself to do more. 

Usually my issue is wanting to paint and not having the time, now when I have the time I don't really want to paint. Go figure!

Steve J

Lovely work Matt. Motivation is a funny old thing and I only paint when I'm in the mood, as otherwise it seems like a chore and/or I rush things and then am not happy with the result.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Thanks!

Had the day off today so decided to try and get as much of the Zombicide box finished as possible.

The last two batches of zombies are all done:

Also the abomination, a kind of super zombie:

And got the remaining models, comprising the necromancer and the heroes, base coated and washed:

Just need to finish up the details and highlights on these then varnish the lot. I was considering adding a bit more detail to the bases but the game boards tend to have a mix of mud, stone and dirt colours so the more neutral base may well blend in better. 

I really should get back to painting some 10mm but not quite sure what project I feel inspired by. I did get gifted a copy of Irregular Wars so should maybe test out a game of that in the near future. Might inspire some projects.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!