The Marvelous Miscellany of MMcV

Started by mmcv, 30 May 2020, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

QuoteNearest the camera, middle works for me (brown with stripes, black with number)
Yeah that's leading the pack for me, plus stripes are easier to paint on than numbers so clearer against the colour (I'd consider making printed ones but that would involve getting my printer fixed as it only works in black and white at the moment).

mmcv

fred.

They look good - and quick work too

I know you said you were doing picklehube covers the same as the uniforms, but you might want to try doing them in buff or pale green, adds a nice bit of contrast to the figures
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

QuoteThey look good - and quick work too

I know you said you were doing picklehube covers the same as the uniforms, but you might want to try doing them in buff or pale green, adds a nice bit of contrast to the figures
Thanks, yeah I've been thinking I might do some future units in the different colour covers as uniform roll out was probably variable as forces got moved around.

The British will get some variability with the Scottish and Indian units so helmet covers will help with the Germans to set them apart a bit.

Going to need to do some trawling through the ranges to find some suitable Ghurka subs (probably Anzacs as they had slouch hats, though possibly pinned on different sides). As far as I can tell there's no lowland Scots in the range, unless any of the Highlanders are in trews, so the poor lowlanders will likely either be represented with Highlanders or standard uniform as I'm not getting into head swaps!

Techno 3

I'll do this later

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

In a big push of a different sort, I'm happy to report that after an intensive week long bombardment and a grueling four day battle, the May Day Offensive of Operation Hector achieved the desired breakthrough. Unfortunately the army took a battering and has taken some time to recover but the troops are advancing well now.

I'll let you work that one out...

http://mmcvhistory.home.blog/2022/05/18/progress-update-april-2022/

fred.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! As with many firsts it can be very hard work. Enjoy the time whilst he is small - before you know if they are at school, then at university...

Liking the ECW forces too

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

QuoteEnjoy the time whilst he is small - before you know if they are at school, then at university...
And is that when you get to sleep again? 

Thanks!

Matt J

Congratulations!

To be honest a couple of years down the line you forget how hard those first few months really were. Then you have another one....
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

FierceKitty

Or you look at overpopulation figures....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

QuoteAnd is that when you get to sleep again?

Thanks!
There is a magic point some in the early school years, where they suddenly become fairly independent so you don't have to do everything for them. Shortly thereafter you become a taxi service. 

mmcv

QuoteThere is a magic point some in the early school years, where they suddenly become fairly independent so you don't have to do everything for them. Shortly thereafter you become a taxi service.
Between the "gremlin" baby stage and the "grunting" adolescent stage. It's all worth it in the end (or is that just the Stockholm syndrome of parenthood kicking in?)  ;D

mmcv

Hobby time has been fairly limited of late as you can imagine, but I've been pottering away at the MDF trenches when I have a few spare moments:

Still a lot to do but they come together easily enough, though the staggered ones are a bit fiddly. My plan is to fill them with polyfill or the like then sprinkle with grit. I want to line the parapet with sandbags, I'm thinking just roll out a thin flattened sausage of milliput or green stuff and chop every 5mm or so, then layer them all up and paint the lot.

Also been getting drips and drabs of eBay deliveries. My battlescale buildings arrived today, I got both 6mm and 10mm to try.

6mm 

These fit well enough for the purpose I think. Assuming I want a "town sector" to be around 75mm square for the grand scale stuff these will do well and don't look too outscaled, particularly if I add a bit of a base to them to raise them a bit.

The 10mm buildings look good

But are just too big for the grand scale stuff as I'd have a hard time fitting any troops into the urban sector with them, I'll save them for my smaller/skirmish level games where j maybe only need a single urban area on a map so can spread them a bit.