Peninsular Napoleonics Not-Kickstarter!

Started by Leon, 01 May 2020, 01:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

I think I must have encouraged Leon to do a Peninsular range for at least the past two years, and having been involved in planning this one I am so pleased it has been the success it has, and more than a bit relieved.

It only goes to show, I think, that the Napoleonic period probably remains in the top three, together with WW2 and the ACW. 

I wonder what this means for further non-kickstarter Napoleonic expansions?  The Prussians and French are already more or less there for the 1813-14 campaigns, the Austrians more or less, which seems to point to the Russians as the next logical 'add-on'.  This would certainly complete the late Napoleonic wars and would be a relatively easy project.  It would also cover Russia 1812 which seems to interest a number of people judging by forum posts.

It seem obvious and is definitely where I'd go next.   

Zippee

Glad to see this be a big success.

Peninsula is not my cup o' tea but I knew it would be hugely popular.

I tend to agree with John for the next one being a comprehensive Russian line but I'm also aware that we are still awaiting much of the French guard and there infills like Austrians with German shakos / Hungarian helmets and some others that are needed. Perhaps they might make a nice infill or provide stretch goals alongside some expanded artillery park items?

And for the love of all things Hapsburg WURST riders and guns!

sultanbev

I too would back an 1811-1813 Russian line, including Bashkirs and Tarters with bows.

Mark

FierceKitty

Quote from: sultanbev on 01 June 2020, 01:20:17 PM
I too would back an 1811-1813 Russian line, including Bashkirs and Tarters with bows.

Mark

Those might even be useful for a few real armies!  ;)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Quote from: John Cook on 01 June 2020, 12:11:46 PM
It only goes to show, I think, that the Napoleonic period probably remains in the top three, together with WW2 and the ACW.  
Genuine question: Is ACW still that popular?

Quote from: John Cook on 01 June 2020, 12:11:46 PM
I wonder what this means for further non-kickstarter Napoleonic expansions?
Swedes and Ottomans (Ottomen?)  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sultanbev

01 June 2020, 01:53:06 PM #350 Last Edit: 01 June 2020, 02:19:25 PM by sultanbev
I got the impression from previous forum posts that the most popular Napoleonics choice always going to be one of the following:
Napoleonic Peninsula
War of 1812
Wellington in India

Completing the Peninsula now creates the Brits for the other two ranges, so they're one-third done already.

My personal wish list is, in order of priority:
Ottoman Turks
War in Indian sub-continent
War of 1812
Russians 1811-1814ish
Swedes
Persians
Neapolitans 1812-1815
Revolutionary Wars

Which should keep Leon and his sculptors in work until the Collapse of Global Industrial Civilisation.

monkeynut

According to some  its much too early to be suggesting  or discussing a Russian kickstarter and what people would like to see included in the " extensive " list, if or when it may come about.
Hay hum .🤨
As stated before IMHO I would support the idea of a Napoleonic Russian Kickstarter as soon as Leon can conjure up some spare time between all the requests flooding in daily.Could be as good or better than the Peninsular kickstarter.
Again congrats Leon keep up the great work!

🐵

Techno

Well.....It'll keep 'X' busy......'Naps' are his 'bag'......

I've got enough to try and keep up with already......

I've done the Persians already, haven't I ? (Gibber, gibber.)......Or is this another lot of Persians that I'm not aware of.  8-} 8-} 8-}

Cheers - Phil ;)

sultanbev

"I've done the Persians already, haven't I ? (Gibber, gibber.)......Or is this another lot of Persians that I'm not aware of."

Yes, the Qajar Persians 1795-1815. We tend to forget our Napoleonic Russians were at war with Persia 1803-1813, tying down 100,000 troops the Russians might have found useful elsewhere.
The same Persian figures would probably do for the 1856 war with Britain too.
It wouldn't be a big range, probably:
Nizam regular infantry (advancing, firing, command)
Irregular city matchlockmen Tufangchis (one pose, + command)
Russian Guard Battalion (advancing, command)
Irregular Jezailies (advancing, firing, command)
regular artillery crew
irregular artillery crew
(artillery from existing Napoleonic and Indian Mutiny ranges)
armoured heavy cavalry (one pose + command)
Kurdish lancers (one pose + command, there was only one unit of these)
Qajar light horse (musket, bow, lance variants + command)
Zembuk regular camel guns

with, suitable for lots of armies/periods:
Bedouin foot with matchlocks
Bedouin camelry with spear
Bedouin camelry with matchlock
Bedouin cavalry with spear
Bedouiin cavalry with matchlock

Mark

Leon

Lots to think about for the next one, certainly.  I think our preference would be to get the Russians done as it's a slightly smaller project and should be a quick turnaround to fill a needed gap.  After that we're really tempted to go into the Revolution as we've had requests for that for years and it could be a another big project, similar to this one I'd expect.  And then there's 1812 and India as Mark says...!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2020, 01:43:05 PM
Genuine question: Is ACW still that popular?
Swedes and Ottomans (Ottomen?)  :D

Apparently the most popular are WW2, Napoleonic and ACW in that order, which has been unchanged for as long as I can remember.  I've no idea how 'they' arrived at this result but when you consider that there is wargaming life beyond these shores - I'm thinking of the US - then it does make sense.

Techno

Quote from: sultanbev on 01 June 2020, 02:29:31 PM
"I've done the Persians already, haven't I ? (Gibber, gibber.)......Or is this another lot of Persians that I'm not aware of."
Yes, the Qajar Persians 1795-1815.

Phew !......

The Persians 'Wot I dun'......are from an, ahem.....somewhat earlier period in history.

Cheers - The historical ignoramous.....Just ignore me. X_X :-[

FierceKitty

Most ancients gamers - let alone the others - hardly know that the Sassanids were Persians, let alone all the others. You are not alone in your bewilderment.

And a few Persians I've chatted to (yes, they do call themselves Persians) are more than a bit tired of having most of the world think they're Arabs.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Quote from: John Cook on 01 June 2020, 03:02:43 PM
Apparently the most popular are WW2, Napoleonic and ACW in that order, which has been unchanged for as long as I can remember.  I've no idea how 'they' arrived at this result but when you consider that there is wargaming life beyond these shores - I'm thinking of the US - then it does make sense.
I believe you. I was just a bit surprised. I would have said WW2, Napoleonics, Ancients.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2020, 04:41:21 PM
I believe you. I was just a bit surprised. I would have said WW2, Napoleonics, Ancients.

https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/our-survey-said/

This would tend to agree - though I suspect shows more of a distribution of Wargames Illustrated readers than the wargaming population as a whole!