How are we getting through it?

Started by Leon, 19 April 2020, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

QuoteAh, Chunky KitKats! Some years ago the local shop to where I work had a batch in that had somehow missed most of the wafer and were 90% or more chocolate. Bu God they were nice and we bought loads :) .
Reminds me of Club bars.

"If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our club".

Very occasionally, you'd get a solid chunk of chocolate without any biscuit in.
I like to think that's how the Yorkie was invented.

I think this was manufacturing error with the biscuit missing the mould.
But I have visions of a famished production line worker grabbing a sneaky biscuit as it whizzed past - and unintentionally boosting customer satisfaction.

Steve J

Yep, I remember the odd orange Jacob's club biscuit that was mainly chocolate, which was simply heaven :) .

Heedless Horseman

Phil. I can't see things 'settling down' for a long time. It might be Best to visit GP/Health Centre in person... even if awkward.
Phone lines are a joke... not!  >:(  Last time... was 12th in queue and sat on phone for 45mins.

How about online booking?

I am still waiting for District Nurse to recontact for Ma's Booster and Flu jabs. However, I have had Booster/Flu jabs and she has no contact with anyone else, so...
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ithoriel

Last time I contacted my Health Centre, which was yesterday, I was first in the queue and waited a matter of seconds after the recorded message directing you to other services for certain conditions.

Same the time before.

I did have to wait about fifteen minutes when I phoned first thing a couple of months ago and was caught up in the rush of people looking for a consult that day.

Postcode lottery or dumb luck?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

QuoteLast time I contacted my Health Centre, which was yesterday, I was first in the queue and waited a matter of seconds after the recorded message directing you to other services for certain conditions.
Good for you. Believe me when I tell you that not everyone has that experience. It is next to impossible for us to contact our GP surgery.

And the frontline staff are experiencing the brunt of people's frustration at not being able to see a doctor:
'We're not battle-axes', say GP receptionists
GP receptionists face increasing abuse, doctors say

Orcs

I managed to get a face to face appointment yesterday.

Was also told to book in for Diabetic health check, as they now have enough phials to take blood.

Told to see "Nurse Pippa", not sure I like this informality , think it was better when we referred to them as "Nurse Smith" etc. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno II

Our health centre/surgery is fine, as far as getting through on the phone.

It's the contact number at the health board that's impossible to access.  :(

(I like being able to call the nurses by their first names..They all call me "Phil".)

Cheers - Phil. :)

Heedless Horseman

A bit lost here, Phil. Health Centre/Surgery should be able to arrange jabs internally... or flag up contact to Health Board... whatever that is?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno II

Hi, Keith. :)

You could call our local 'Docs' a health centre...or surgery.

It's our health authority...
..the equivalent of the top of the NHS in England that appears to have lost the plot, a wee bit.

For our first two jabs, we went to the local surgery.
But the surgery appear to have decided that they're having nothing to do with the booster jabs.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Ithoriel

QuoteTold to see "Nurse Pippa", not sure I like this informality , think it was better when we referred to them as "Nurse Smith" etc. 

Staff at the health centre call me Mike and I call them by their first names. Same with the taxi firm I tend to use. Same at work, when I worked for a living.

I prefer that. Mr Such-and-such or Ms So-and-so seems so Victorian to me. We're "a' Jock Tamson's bairns" after all.

But I'm sure that if I took my grandmother's tack of,"You don't know me well enough to call me by my first name!" they'd oblige by being more formal.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

I can always tell when someone calls me 'James' that they are quickly reading from a formal record. There are some recording systems which have a 'known as' field and I am normally called 'Jim' at that point so if I am called 'Jim' then I know that the record is being read correctly or the person actually knows me. My GP always called me 'Jim' as I saw him regularly. In recent vaccination premises I am back to being called 'James'.

In work terms I was always known as 'JD' as there were several 'Jims' about.

When I got the occasional 'awkward' client at work I always asked to be known as 'Mr Duncan' whereas everyone from the Rector/Principal/Dean/Departmental Secretary/Head of Security/Senior Janitor always referred to me as 'Jim'.

In wargame terms I used to get called 'Big Jim' and I never really understood why. Honest.

Most of my real friends call me 'Jimbo'.
My Ego forbids a signature.

steve_holmes_11

QuoteLast time I contacted my Health Centre, which was yesterday, I was first in the queue and waited a matter of seconds after the recorded message directing you to other services for certain conditions.

Same the time before.

I did have to wait about fifteen minutes when I phoned first thing a couple of months ago and was caught up in the rush of people looking for a consult that day.

Postcode lottery or dumb luck?

Could be a national difference here.

NHS Scotland are organising vaccinations on a regional basis, bypassing GP surgeries.

My Parents (London) get their vaccinations at their GP surgery.
It is fairly cramped to accommodate the 10 minute sit down and social distancing.
The surgery is also primarily occupied with vaccinations, so other conditions are experiencing longer waits.

Orcs

Just been advised that we have to wear masks at club. I can fully see the reason for this, so I am not knocking it, particularly given the demographic of our club.

I just cannot see the enjoyment of sitting there for 3-4 hours wearing a mask, just to get a game in. I would rather game at home with a freind, or stay at home and paint.

so looks like club games are off for me for a while.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Orcs on 09 December 2021, 07:53:29 PMJust been advised that we have to wear masks at club. I can fully see the reason for this, so I am not knocking it, particularly given the demographic of our club.

I just cannot see the enjoyment of sitting there for 3-4 hours wearing a mask, just to get a game in. I would rather game at home with a freind, or stay at home and paint.

See if you can book 10 Downing Street...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Orcs

Quote from: Orcs on 09 December 2021, 07:53:29 PMJust been advised that we have to wear masks at club. I can fully see the reason for this, so I am not knocking it, particularly given the demographic of our club.

=O  =O  =O