How are we getting through it?

Started by Leon, 19 April 2020, 10:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

My life is actually not too bad ... dare I say that ... ???

I work from home a lot of the time, when I am not on trains to London, or planes to Edinburgh, Glasgow and a number of European capitals - all of which has been replaced with video conferencing. We are lucky pretty much all our 120,000 staff globally are either now working from home or in lock-in (with client staff in key fascilities - such as nueclear power plants) or are providing critical services for H.M.Gov and the NHS (we have teams on-site at a lot of the big hospital trusts and providing break-fix onsite in the new Nightingale hospitals). So my working weeks is actually much busier than normal - so I count myself lucky.

My wife has taken herself up to stay (for at least 3 months) in lock-down with her 89 year old mum, who is very frail and has dementia. I do their shopping and leave it in the garage - waving my hello's through the patio windows. So I am left alone with 2 mad cats for company.

Both my daughters - in their early 30's - have had the virus and are now out the other side - and that included my son-in-law and my 7 month old grandson (who started coughing for the first time ever and it caused him endless giggles). Eldest daughter is working from home - she looks after Sainsbury's for her company - so really busy and my son-in-law's firm is also able to keep him working full time at home. So we thank our lucky stars all round.

I am using my spare time to 'exercise' upon my allotment - I have 250 square of glorious self-isolation - and that Mr Gove chappy has stated that going to the allotment is perfectly acceptable activity - so who am I to disobey a government directive. And it has never looked better or gotten more attention.

I am also spending my evenings attacking the lead pile - and I am 2/3rds of the way through painting up a massive 28mm Early Carthaginian army - 1st Punic & Syracusan Wars - but it is slowly morphing into 2nd Punic Wars as I just couldn't resist the elephants.
NB: I must also set aside time to finish off CWCII and also a couple of other new sets of Pendraken rules - even in lock-down there is never enough time.

So all in all I cannot grumble - especially now the panic buying seems to have died down. Thank goodness.

It is a glorious day today - on 20th April 2020 - my 60th Birthday - one to remember  :D

Keep your spirits up folks.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

paulr

Happy Birthday Mark <:-P <:-P

Quote from: Big Insect on 20 April 2020, 08:58:17 AM
even in lock-down there is never enough time.

So very true :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: ianrs54 on 20 April 2020, 10:08:02 AM
A mere youth Mark !

60 is the new mid-life Ian - but I had my own mid-life crisis 20 years ago - got divorced, bought the sports-car etc. - I wouldn't want to do it again - seriously overrated IMHO !!!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 20 April 2020, 04:10:05 AM
In the interim I have persuaded the 'sergeant major' to wargame.  Her only proviso is that it must be with "pretty armies".  What will I do if she wins?

I think FK is  the person to go to in that case. He is used to being defeated by the fairer sex. (on the wargames table at least) :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Reflect that it shows she's intelligent, and then consider that she chose to marry you, of all the people in the world.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Happy birthday, Mark ! :-bd :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

Life for us here has been much the same as normal, as Mrs Orcs works from Home and I am a Key worker ad have to go into the office to work. If anything I have worked more since this all started.

The only real changes have me not being able to go out shooting or gaming and Mrs Orcs doing Pilates via Zoom rather than going to it.

So I have had similar amounts of time to normal. I finished decorating our bedroom just before lockdown, but we are still waiting for the fitters to come and fit the bedroom. So its all bare floorboards and echos. Fortunately we have a couple of spare bedrooms. No Idea when it will be completed though.  

I have managed to tidy up my Den.  I had hoped to get some solo games of Furioso to see how ithey worked,  but have been drawn into getting stuff done that has sat all over the Den  waiting for me to do it and thus making the room untidy.

I have sorted and labelled all my 10mm Terrain. Made some more Woods for 10mm Based a bag of fruit trees for 20mm. Today I will finish these off and start doing the assorted figures on the painting table. Tomorrow will be more of the same , and Wednesday Mrs Orcs is off so we will probably do some gardening then have a picnic in the garden assuming the weather is good.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

I took a consignment of hops from a near neighbor on the allotment over the weekend - he is a brewer - so we all get a sack to use as mulch - smells wonderful - but as Ian states - sadly i can no longer drink alcohol - but I do have a few bottles of some very nice Bavarian alcohol free beer in the fridge for later.
:D :D :D

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 20 April 2020, 12:12:31 PM
He dont drink Will  ;)

I have to be careful on my intake as I am diabetic, but I certainly enjoy a beer or two

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Big Insect on 20 April 2020, 08:58:17 AM

It is a glorious day today - on 20th April 2020 - my 60th Birthday - one to remember  :D

Happy Birthday Mark

I was 70 last Monday and I was told 70 is the new 40.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.com/2020/04/youll-never-guess.html

Jim
My Ego forbids a signature.

Ithoriel

Getting next to no painting done, a few bits of scenery started but not finished, lots of computer time, far more meals from scratch and far fewer ready meals.

Gaming is almost entirely on the computer with the odd solo game of a rules-lite Midway carrier game on the kitchen table.

Just spent 10 minutes, or so, watching one of the local foxes having fun on my upstairs neighbours' trampoline, maybe ten feet from my kitchen-diner window.

Were it not for the appalling reason for it, I could wish this crisis to go on forever.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 20 April 2020, 12:37:20 PM
Happy Birthday Mark

I was 70 last Monday and I was told 70 is the new 40.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.com/2020/04/youll-never-guess.html

Jim

Couldnt agree more Jim - if life gives you lemons ... sell them & buy wine women & song  !!!