Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

QuoteWhy is Santa in Red ? Would have thought Val913 Yellow Ochre more appropriate for cured Reindeer Skin?  :o

Still time to repaint and educate kids in the values of a sustainable use of renewable, natural resources.
Modern Answer: Coca Cola branding.

Antiquarian Answer: He's the Bishop of Myra: Quite an angry bishop by all accounts.

howayman

I thought the coca cola rebranding story was just an urban myth .

Ithoriel

From https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/21/coca-cola-didnt-invent-santa-the-10-biggest-christmas-myths-debunked

"1 Coca-Cola designed the modern Santa Claus as part of an advertising campaign

This is one you always hear at dinner parties. It makes the speaker sound rather clever and cynical. Except it's tosh. Coca-Cola did start using Santa in advertising in 1933. But Santa had been portrayed almost exclusively in red from the early 19th century and most of his modern image was put together by cartoonist Thomas Nast in the 1870s. Even if you were to confine your search to Santa in American soft drinks adverts, you would find a thoroughly modern Santa Claus in the posters for White Rock that came out in 1923."
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Gwydion

Coca Cola did appropriate the idea of Santa Claus (dressed in red) in 1931 (or 33?), but...

yes, a Father Christmas type figure had been around for years in the US in different coloured robes.
Louis Prang (should have been a fighter pilot) had a set of Christmas cards with Santa in a red costume in 1875, predating Coca Cola's appropriation by 56 years (and he probably wasn't the first person to have a 'red' Santa).

(Nast's Santa was in a brown bristly fur job)

In Europe he'd been around under various names for centuries in different costumes.

FierceKitty

A reminder that he's in white in some countries.
I have not the pleasure of understanding you. Of what are you talking?

DecemDave

And in Moscow , he can be in blue.
And to prove it here is a pic from when I was there on business one Christmas.  I took the pic so you will need to check the glass for reflections to see me.  :D

Leman

Another theory I have come across is the accessibility of those red and white mushrooms up in Lapland. You'll believe a reindeer can fly!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!