Paint volume for uniforms on figures

Started by hammurabi70, 05 March 2020, 04:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammurabi70

I have not painted 10mm figures before.  When painting standard twentieth century figure uniforms, how many figures will a single 17ml pot of paint cover?

Scorpio_Rocks

Surely this is impossible to answer!

It depends on how thick you apply the paint, how many coats, how much you water-down before application, colour of undercoat, manufacturer of paint, how much of the figure is that colour, etc.

As a VERY rough estimate a 10mm figure has approximately 1/6th the surface area of a 28mm one - so about 6 times the number of 28mm figures you can normally paint
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Westmarcher

What an astonishing question!  :o  This is something that has never occurred to me. As Scorpio suggests, what is your experience in other scales?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Westmarcher on 05 March 2020, 05:25:46 PM
What an astonishing question!  :o  This is something that has never occurred to me. As Scorpio suggests, what is your experience in other scales?

I am getting a feel for how frequently people have found it necessary to get another pot of paint.  At about 300 in 6mm I am guessing around 40 but what is the experience of people with WWII armies.

paulr

A while ago I painted almost 1,000 WWI 10mm figures using paints I had had for a while and I'm still using the same bottles for other projects

I've painted about 3,500 WWII 6mm infantry from 5 different nationalities and didn't use a full bottle on any of them
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

Beep

mollinary

From my experience, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. The only things I really ever seem to run out  of in timescales that I notice are basing materials. Individual paint containers are replaced so rarely, they do not really count in any financial calculations I make. That said, I cannot see any way in which the figure would be as low as forty, even if you dipped the figures in the pot and left them there for a day before taking them out!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!

petercooman

I bought a specific tone of blue for my acw union force. About 350-400 figures. Army has been finished for a couple of years, and i'm still using that same paint pot. Must admit it's nearing it's end.

For ww 2, i bought a pot of wehrmacht uniform paint and have done an entire 10mm army with it, then a 28mm bolt action army and then 20 german zombies in 28mm. Stil half a pot left.

Really depends on how much you use and how much you squirt out.

jimduncanuk

I have paints which are at least a decade old, some even older and I have some which I bought at the end of last year and are near done.

I paint figures every day, some 6mm, a lot of 10mm, a few 15mm and a lot of 28mm. Then there are buildings and other terrain.

I probably spend around £10-£30 at every show on paint and I do about 9-10 shows a year.

Then there is brushes ...
My Ego forbids a signature.

mmcv

Quote from: petercooman on 05 March 2020, 07:21:34 PM
Really depends on how much you use and how much you squirt out.

Yeah it would be interesting to know how much you're typically squeezing out, I tend to be quite frugal with squeezing out just what I need and use a wet pallet to keep any leftover paint fresh for a while longer. While I'm nowhere near as prolific as many on here, I've yet to run out of a pot, though I've a couple of browns that are starting to run low . But that's after 2.5 years and a lot of spears and horses!

hammurabi70

Many thanks to everyone, that was very helpful.  One pot per uniform should be more than adequate.  :D

petercooman

Quote from: mmcv on 05 March 2020, 07:31:12 PM
Yeah it would be interesting to know how much you're typically squeezing out, I tend to be quite frugal with squeezing out just what I need and use a wet pallet to keep any leftover paint fresh for a while longer. While I'm nowhere near as prolific as many on here, I've yet to run out of a pot, though I've a couple of browns that are starting to run low . But that's after 2.5 years and a lot of spears and horses!

I usually squeeze out a little bit at a time, about 3-5 models worth in 28mm, less in 10mm. Mind you i don't use a wet pallet, so squeezing out more just means its dry before i can use it.

mmcv

Quote from: petercooman on 05 March 2020, 08:35:48 PM
I usually squeeze out a little bit at a time, about 3-5 models worth in 28mm, less in 10mm. Mind you i don't use a wet pallet, so squeezing out more just means its dry before i can use it.

Yeah similar, though the wet is handy for when you go for a dab and end up with a splurge from squeezing a little too hard!

Lord Speedy of Leighton

Loud enough to annoy my wife to quiet enough to drown out Holby City on the TV...
Paint, sorry, thought it was music, right...
A quick squeeze from a Vallejo dropped onto an upturned coat d'arms pot. I also worked out with care you can loosen lids and return the majority of the spare paint to the bottle. I also use the nipple inverted as a pot if I only need a tiny amount.
You may refer to me as: Lord Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shedman