Other German errata

Started by sultanbev, 18 February 2020, 03:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

Noticed a few anomalies:
a) leIG18 infantry gun is 7.5cm but is denoted as 7.7cm - there weren't any 7.7cm guns in WW2, any WW1 era ones (Fk96?) left over had been rebored/rebarreled by the nations that had them, and there were no 7.7cm infantry guns.
b) Wespe off-table artillery is 4 attack dice, but the equivalent 10.5cm towed howitzer is 3
c) Hummel off-table artillery is 6 attack dice, but the equivalent 15cm towed howitzer is 4
Being SP off-table artillery doesn't give you better artillery effect, just more chance of surviving counter-battery fire - unless you were increasing them for being 6-tube batteries. But there is no mention of this, and not all SP artillery batteries had 6 tubes. Similarly, some towed batteries had 3 or 6 tubes, but those haven't been decreased/increased.
d) 8"/203mm artillery seems to be missing from all lists apart from 1944-45 Soviets. What happened there?

Mark

Big Insect

We can fix a lot of this easily Mark ... some of this might just be carry-over from the old lists - or slips in the transcription across to the new format.

The 8"/203mm has a saga behind it, as trying to squeeze more artillery into the printed lists was becoming a logistical (print-space) issue. But I am sure we can take a look. It's why I am all in favour of on-line lists and army list calculators as it's so much easier to correct errata and add in every bodies favourite bits and pieces!

Keep 'em coming ... we'll probably do a list correction when we have adequate volume.

What until we redo the CWC lists, then we'll really have a challenge  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

sultanbev

These little glitches will keep cropping up as I do the lists for the Wargames Vault. Which is great as it finds them out, and I do add suggested stats for weapons that are not currently listed.

Looking forward to doing unit specific CWC lists. Was talking to Leon about this at York, you're going to have an interesting time dealing with different variants of the same ammo type over differing decades. Eg, the Soviet 125mm in 1967 will have vastly different attack dice compared to the same gun in 1987, it might be the difference between 4/125cm and 6/125cm for example. Similarly, the NATO 105mm when going from early APDS to mid-1980s FSAPDS. Hope you are incorporating this.

Mark

Big Insect

We are indeed looking at this for CWC.
It might require separate lines in the army lists, based on time and ammo types. But the intention is not to get to 'anal' about it.
The fact that the lists will be online, with an automated calculator might help avoid too much errata.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Just give em a different Mk No. It also affects WWII, with AP, APC and APCBC for the US/Brit 75mm, and APCR for lots of guns.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

It's also about how 'granular' you want the game to be.

With CWC we are looking at c.40 years of arms development - so some significant changes need to be captured in the stats
With BKCIV we are looking at c.6 years of arms development - maybe 13 years if you include Spanish Civil War and Korean War.

But I agree some levels of development can be accomodated.

Some changes yes, others no. I suspect we would need to add Sabot and HVAP for the 17pdr (it's there) and US 90mm. The HVAP makes the 90 the best AP tube in WWII, closely followed by the 17 with Sabot.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sultanbev

" suspect we would need to add Sabot and HVAP for the 17pdr (it's there) and US 90mm. The HVAP makes the 90 the best AP tube in WWII, closely followed by the 17 with Sabot. "

I've been adding these to the indivudual army lists as I write them, where it is significant. US HVAP was so rare as to make only one shot per game per model in the vast majority of cases, and then only in 1945 really. Officiall allocation was 4-5 rounds per month per gun due to production shortages rather than doctrine.
British 6pdr APDS was in fact quite common, typical allocation being 24 per gun, so that deserves attention. There are others. But there isn't enough bandwidth in the attack dice in BKC-IV to warrant difference between say APC and APCBC rounds for WW2 75mm guns for example. We can't do 3/60 and 3.25/65 which is what the difference might be.

Mark