Noktus WW2

Started by Noktu, 12 January 2020, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Excellent Noktu. 

As Ian says, pattern was very random. Applicators could be anything mop, broom, rags, paintbrush, or occasionally sprayed on.

Just imagine , bored p*ssed off tankie, not fed or slept properly for days, given a couple of pots of paint and then asked to camouflage his tank.

They also used water if fuel was scarce.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Noktu

22 January 2020, 04:52:23 PM #31 Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 05:01:04 PM by Noktu
Hilfe!

And thank you gentlemen!

I wasn't impressed with my 2nd try as the colours were rather futuristic on the panzers, so painted these panzers over for the 4th time now and ended up with this.

As this might be more realistic representation of the colours used back in the day, I just feel like I never get it quite right. Should I do this but with the bigger botches of colour used in the previous iteration shown here?

And trust me, I'll keep doing this until I get it right.

EDIT1: Should I drybrush this a bit more to make the colours a tad bit more subtle?

EDIT2: Pendraken models are über. As mentioned these have been painted over for the 4th time without any detail gone missing, and I've been rather generous with the paint.

10 by Atte, on Flickr

11 by Atte, on Flickr

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well in action tanks are lugging 2 tonnes of dust and mud....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

They've all looked great, as far as I'm concerned.  :)

Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 22 January 2020, 05:52:12 PM
They've all looked great, as far as I'm concerned.  :)

Yep!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ithoriel

They look good to me too.

I accept that most tanks, most of the time would be somewhat grubby but I prefer my miniature vehicles clean.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Noktu

Thank you guys,

Okay, I did a heavy drybrush on these tanks to make the colours blend in a bit more. It looks pretty nice from a distance, made the tank pop up a bit more instead of making it hard to look at because of the heavy camouflage.

Think it went better or for worse? Going to clean the tracks from the drybrushing of course.

13 by Atte, on Flickr

12 by Atte, on Flickr

Steve J

This looks good to me. Whatever you do, the camouflage does make them look rather blobby on the table, as it is hard to make out the shape. Naturally the camo has done its job :D.

Noktu

These past weeks I've been trying to nail the dunkelgelb on this scale but to no success. Therefore I decided it'd be better to just go gray with the tanks.

Here's a couple of shots from the so far finished germans. Will take new pictures tomorrow in a better lightning.

14 by Atte, on Flickr

15 by Atte, on Flickr

16 by Atte, on Flickr

mollinary

They look great, but it looks to me like you have nailed the dunkelgelb on your guns.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Techno

Wonderful !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Noktu

Thank you!

Quote from: mollinary on 03 February 2020, 09:10:49 PM
They look great, but it looks to me like you have nailed the dunkelgelb on your guns.

Appreciated, I'll give the panzer IV and Stug 3 a one more go. I've repainted those two while experimenting for like 11th time now, and twice I've had to remove the paint with an old toothbrush. The stug is in a shape where it will most probably end up as a stug casuality prop at this stage!

Also a few more images of the troops taken just as the sun was escaping me. It's rather hard to get these shot in the perfect circumstances, and to get the colours show right. And what I dont understand is, that how can the camera see the different shades of colour and brush strokes. Like when I've highlighted a tunic, I cant see the different layers as I've tried to blend them in. But the of course the camera picks them out!

I feel like this "fake" situation shot shows the colours in a rather natural state.

17 by Atte, on Flickr

A backshot to show the gear

18 by Atte, on Flickr

Panzergrenadiers

19 by Atte, on Flickr

MG 42

21 by Atte, on Flickr

Mortars

22 by Atte, on Flickr

Pak 40

23 by Atte, on Flickr