Huasa Kingdoms

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 21 December 2019, 09:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sultanbev

I have a Bornu & Kanem army in 15mm for my African Napoleonics, which has similar figures to the Hausa Kingdoms. Irregular Miniatures do most of them. I never got round to doing a Napoleonic Hausa army though.

Problem is now I'm switiching to 10mm, so want Pendraken to do all these armies in their deliciousness!

sunjester

An excellent start to a fascinating army Will, I'll look forward to seeing more.

Mine you I think you're a bit balmy to alter the faces of 200+ 15mm figures.

If you are taking advice from Techno, does that include the 10 best ways to deposit an offering of blood on your little men? :D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: sunjester on 21 December 2019, 10:09:24 AM

If you are taking advice from Techno, does that include the 10 best ways to deposit an offering of blood on your little men? :D

He's teaching me how not to do it, learning by mistakes I believe...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Interesting to read about your Grandfather, who probably knew my wife's late God Father, Brian Fenton, who worked in Jos and at Kurra Falls. Maybe your mother might have known him? Anyway, the Hausa colourful robes would have only really been worn by the Emir's bodyguard etc. Most other cloth would have been fairly plain and one colour, as the top and trousers are always the same. The head dress would be any colour, but again fairly plain. If you start adding in Tuareg or Boozo, then the blues come into their own.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I know it's a bit colourful, but any excuse!  ;D

paulr

Very interesting to read about your Grandfather, a great way for you to remember him :)

:-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Terrific, Will !!

Those are coming along spiffingly .

Quote from: paulr on 21 December 2019, 09:27:09 PM
Very interesting to read about your Grandfather, a great way for you to remember him :)

I totally agree.  :)....A wonderful 'personal' project.

Mind you I think you're a bit barmy to alter the faces of 200+ 15mm figures.

It IS rather a lot !!  ;D ;D ;D.....But Will's doing a damn fine job !

OI !!  ;)......I've only stuck myself with a scalpel once in the past few weeks !!

Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Sorry Will, but I am a bit confused. Nothing  unusual there, you might well say! I know precious little about either the area or period, but I have never heard of the Huasa people. Is this yet another example of my ignorance, or should that  be the Hausa people?  Or are they someone completely different, with a similar spelling?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

It's a typo, it should be Hausa.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

mollinary

Thanks. Fascinating story, and great project!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

petercooman

Great stuff! and what at first looks like a very simple base for your camp, comes to life when you tell the story!!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

Really looking good, Will !

Keep up the good work.  :)

Cheers - Phil