Saracen, Saladin, BTR-40 and ASU-57 previews!

Started by Leon, 04 June 2019, 11:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We've had another batch of excellent new vehicles from Mart, so we've grabbed some quick pics of them before they go into moulds.

First up, we've got the Saladin and Saracen pair.  The FV603 Saracen was a 6 wheeled APC used from the early 1950's through to the 1990's across the world.  From Africa to Yom Kippur to Northern Ireland, there's a whole list of games/conflicts that this can be used for.  The FV601 Saladin was the replacement for the AEC armoured car and had a similar production run, being still in use today in the Indonesian Army.  It's most notable use might be in the defense of Kuwait before the breakout of the first Gulf War.

Moving on we've got the BTR-40 next, the first mass-produced Soviet APC before it was replaced by the BTR-152.  This one entered service in 1949 and served in the Warsaw Pact nations through until the early 1970's.  Elsewhere it was used by North Vietnamese and the North Korean armies.

And finally we've got the little ASU-57!  This assault gun was developed for the Soviet airborne after WWII and was in production from 1951 to the late 1960's.  Despite its thin armour and open top, the small size and mobility proved successful and was kept in service until the ASU-85 came along.  As well as the Soviets, this was used by East Germany, North Korea and Poland, as well as Egypt in the Six Day War. 

Saladin/Saracen
SaladinSaracen by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

BTR-40
BTR40 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

ASU-57
ASU57 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And while we're on it, we've also upgraded our Elefant and M48 with some cracking new models!

Elefant by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

M48 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Seconded !

Is it me...or are they a tad difficult to see against the white background ?

Cheers - Mr Computer Numpty, who can't remember how to change the brightness/contrast on his screen.  =)

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 05 June 2019, 06:56:08 AM
Seconded !

Cheers - Mr Computer Numpty, who can't remember how to change the brightness/contrast on his screen.  =)

No your right, it does blend into the background a bit.  Nice models though
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 05 June 2019, 06:56:08 AM

:-[

I might have lost misplaced the blue card background that I'd normally use for plastic masters...  I'll nip to the shop and get a fresh one for the next batch.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Seeing as I send you fairly.....(Ahem).....garbage snaps of green masters...I should be the very last person to comment on pics. :-[

Cheers - David Bailey ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Seen worse....when we getting the important stuff - 432 and Cheify ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 05 June 2019, 01:16:30 PM
Seen worse....when we getting the important stuff - 432 and Cheify ?

Martin's on with the Chieftain next, along with the Leopard I and T-64.

Sunray

At last.

Time to adjourn the 1/300 cruel river , and get back to 10mm bush wars.  :)  when working in Addis Ababa in 2007, I saw the remains of ASU 57 minus gun and tracks.

The BTR40 was/is widely used in Africa.

mart678

Thanks everyone glad you like them and yes some missing MBT,s next and a couple of trucks

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Any update on release of Sarry and Saracen ?  The federal offensive has stalled as Lagos awaits this replacement kit !
The bush war has been put on the back burner.

Seriously - if you want me back from 1/300 marine, please get them in production.  :)

Please......

Leon

Quote from: Sunray on 07 September 2019, 03:39:34 PM
Any update on release of Sarry and Saracen ?

Dave's been working on those this past couple of weeks so we should have them sorted pretty soon.  We've been in 'show' mode getting Colours/Border Reiver out of the way but I'll be checking where we are with releases this week.

Sunray

Terry37

I am truly amazed at how masters are made to cast figures!!! That is a real skill that I do not posses!!! I tip my hat!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams