MicroMark Army Lists for BKC-IV!

Started by Leon, 27 June 2019, 01:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fwav8or

Hello,

I'm not a huge history buff, so I may be off the mark with this request, but was there an American Mechanized Infantry unit in WWII?  If so, could you do a list for them?  I wanted to make an army that had a mix of infantry and armor.

Thank you, sir!
~fwav8or

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

First hi and welcome. The US equivalent to Mechanised infantry in modern terminology is Armoured Infantry, of which there were 3 btn in a standard WWII Armoured Divisions after 42,
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

fwav8or

Thanks for the info Lord Kermit.  So would 3rd Infantry Division have been considered an Armored Infantry Division in WWII, as I believe they are currently classified as Mechanized Infantry?

Thanks for the welcome aboard Phil!

Take care, fellas!
~fwav8or

Probably yes. The current structure is such that an Armored Division and Mechanised Division are virtually the same, so in WWII terms it would be an armoured division. Beware though it's not interchangeable between WWII and current practice.

Rhys

Quote from: fwav8or on 01 November 2021, 01:29:51 AMThanks for the info Lord Kermit.  So would 3rd Infantry Division have been considered an Armored Infantry Division in WWII, as I believe they are currently classified as Mechanized Infantry?

Thanks for the welcome aboard Phil!

Take care, fellas!
Sorry but the modern designations don't port from WW2.
The US army unit that you are after is the US light armoured division with 3 armoured battalions and 3 armoured infantry battalions. The WW2 US infantry divisions were just that. There was no equivalent of the German Panzergrenadier divisions.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

Inactive

Going from the above, and the catalogue, it looks like US Armoured Division (along with the requisite Armoured Infantry Battalions) are not yet done?  Not sure if they've been requested as yet?

Ok - just a rough guide - From the top down :-
1942/3 except 2nd Armourd Div
Divisional HQ be CO and 2 HQ's if used
3 Combat Command HQ's (A, B and Reserve)  CO or HQ plus HQ and a secrity platoon
3 Armoured Btn CO/HQ and HQ 3 M4 Tank Companies, 1 M5 Tank Coy, 1 Support coy 1 Plt M4/105, 1 Plt M4/M21 MMC, Recce platoon in Jeeps.
3 Armoured Inf Btn CO/HQ and HQ, 2 Armd Inf Coys 3 Platoons in M3 1/2 tracks, 1 A/TK plt 57mmn ATG
1 SP Coy 1 Plt M4/M21, MG plt im M3 1/2Tracks 1 Plt M7 Preiest, Recce Plt in Jeeps

3 Armoured Field Artillery Rgts of 3 batteries M7 Preists, upto 2 FAO per battery.

1 Armoured Cavalry Troop CO/HQ 4 Plts M8 A/Car, 4 Platoons Jeep Recce (Note the jeeps and M8's are in the same platoon but for game play separate them out) 1 M5 Platoon Recce Support

In Late 44, early 45 may substitute M24 for M25, also can add up to 3 platoons M26 to the Medium Tank Coy.

Divisions would have medium and heavy artillery added from the pool.

sultanbev

Quote from: Atilla on 17 April 2022, 04:51:43 AMGoing from the above, and the catalogue, it looks like US Armoured Division (along with the requisite Armoured Infantry Battalions) are not yet done?  Not sure if they've been requested as yet?

Sorry, production has ground to a halt unfortunately. Am hoping to resume later this year.Interestingly, I get very few requests for American lists in all the rules I write lists for.

Mark

fred.

Where the American forces fairly standard from an organisation perspective? As that might explain why there isn't as high a demand for lists for their units.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Pretty much Forbes although the Infantry divisons did get variable attachments from the Pool, which had artillery, engineers, tanks and tank destroyers as independant attatchable battalions. Generally, but not always, an infantry divison would have a TD and or Tank Btn added, Armoured Divisons the TD's. The extra artillery was added for specific operations much as the British used their AGRA's.

Last post on this has two sillies in it - the Armoured Inf Btn has 3 not 2 companies

The M24 is substitued for M5 not M25.

Inactive

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 17 April 2022, 08:11:45 AMOk - just a rough guide - From the top down :-
1942/3 except 2nd Armourd Div
Divisional HQ be CO and 2 HQ's if used
3 Combat Command HQ's (A, B and Reserve)  CO or HQ plus HQ and a secrity platoon
3 Armoured Btn CO/HQ and HQ 3 M4 Tank Companies, 1 M5 Tank Coy, 1 Support coy 1 Plt M4/105, 1 Plt M4/M21 MMC, Recce platoon in Jeeps.
3 Armoured Inf Btn CO/HQ and HQ, 2 Armd Inf Coys 3 Platoons in M3 1/2 tracks, 1 A/TK plt 57mmn ATG
1 SP Coy 1 Plt M4/M21, MG plt im M3 1/2Tracks 1 Plt M7 Preiest, Recce Plt in Jeeps

3 Armoured Field Artillery Rgts of 3 batteries M7 Preists, upto 2 FAO per battery.

1 Armoured Cavalry Troop CO/HQ 4 Plts M8 A/Car, 4 Platoons Jeep Recce (Note the jeeps and M8's are in the same platoon but for game play separate them out) 1 M5 Platoon Recce Support

In Late 44, early 45 may substitute M24 for M25, also can add up to 3 platoons M26 to the Medium Tank Coy.

Divisions would have medium and heavy artillery added from the pool.

Missed this entirely.  Thanks for posting.  Decided to go with British in the end.  Went with US in 15mm as it kept the number of units needed down given it's basically Shermans, Stuarts and M10s.  Found games tended to get somewhat repetitive though.  The cost of doing British though is not so prohibitive in 10mm  :)

Rhys

Theres a bit more variety in Th US forces tha you think.
The M4 also has the M4(76) and a couple of Jumbos (M4E3A2 assault tank) are also handy to have. TD units also have M18 or M36 as options.
And missing from the list is the AA battalion with M15/M16 which are quite handy for chopping up German infantry.
Im assuming you went with a British infantry division?
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.