Telephone Scammers.

Started by Techno, 13 June 2019, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I would have to give the guys credit for doing such a good job 'along the lane'..........I'm sure the cyclists around here are finding they don't have such painful nether regions anymore.
(Must have almost crippled some of them !)

There's only one village on the way to Cardigan that could do with a 'sprucing up' now....That's the only one where I can now play the aforementioned pothole slalom. ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

Steve J

Hmmm, come Winter roads round our neck of the woods (the outskirts of Bristol) are going to be in a terrible state, as the surface is already broken up :(. When I cycle over certain sections I keep having to check I haven't got a puncture due to the noise it makes!

Raider4

Quote from: Steve J on 07 August 2020, 10:32:24 AM
Hmmm, come Winter roads round our neck of the woods (the outskirts of Bristol) are going to be in a terrible state, as the surface is already broken up :(. When I cycle over certain sections I keep having to check I haven't got a puncture due to the noise it makes!

Aye, roads in Bristol are terrible. But I think that's by design. It's been clear for years that whoever runs the Bristol traffic planning department just really, really hates cars.

Raider4

Argh! Just had one these robot voice calls, from Amazon about my Prime renewal . . .

Normally I don't answer, because they show up as (mostly) made up numbers (No UK phone number starts '06xxx' . . .).

But this one purported to come from my wife's parents. Which show these buggers have some information about who might genuinely ring my number on a regular basis! Worrying.

Techno II

They can 'pretend' to be phoning from any number they choose now. (Barstewards)
A scammer can 'use' a genuine 'the tax office' number....The houses of Parliament....A relation....Whatever, nowadays.

Agreed, that's slightly worrying that they appear to have your in-laws' number...and have linked it to you, Martyn. :-\
Hmmmm.

Mind you, using their number for an Amazon Prime scam is a bit of a giveaway.......A bit of a sod if they're using that number to do multiple Amazon calls.
Your in-laws might end up fielding a lot of calls from folk who believe that the in-laws' number IS Amazon.....or scammers.......I hope not. X_X

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Most oif the numbers don't show Phil, so altough a call scanner helps some will get through.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: Techno II on 30 November 2020, 03:09:13 PM
They can 'pretend' to be phoning from any number they choose now. (Barstewards)
A scammer can 'use' a genuine 'the tax office' number....The houses of Parliament....A relation....Whatever, nowadays.

They called my daughter recently cloning the Tax office number, Told her she owed them £2000 and they were going to take her to court.  She does owe a  couple of Hundred due to changing jobs , so they caught her at the "right" time . Fortunately She guessed it was a scam , but the caller got her into a right state. She eventually hung up and called me in tears.

After I had calmed her down and made sure she had not given them any details. I told her all the usual stuff - tel them to write to you, just hang up etc.

I feel sorry for the genuine people making calls to thier customers , they must get so much grief.  I told a lady to "F*ck Off" on one occasion, when she just called and said "Hello Mr Webb How are you, are you having a good day" rather than saying its" Jane from Nationwide".  She called back again and said exactly that, I recognized her voice and had to profusely apologize.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

You have a number of options with these telephone scams.  If it is from an entity with which you don't have a relationship it's easy - just ring off and block the number.  If it purports to come from a bank, building society, insurance company or whatever, where you hold an account ask them for a letter of your password, say the fifth for example, or one of the other memorable names or places you have chosen.  If they can't, they are fake and most won't even know what you account number is either.  If you are convinced it is genuine, tell them that you are ringing off and will call them back, and then do so, preferably from another phone.  Treat all unsolicited calls as scams potentially.

Techno II

First one for AGES...it was quite amusing, in reality.

"Amazon Prime" querying my account...Still haven't got a Prime a/c.

Kept him on the phone for a good few minutes...finally told him that the number they'd 'spoofed' was in my own telephone area....Bit of a giveaway.

Especially as the call was definitely coming from overseas. ;D  ;D  ;D

Cheers - Phil. ;)

Had a couple lately trying to tell me I'd spent £700 + on Amazon, then refused to tell where from.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

To me, the other complete giveaway is that they never call you by your name. (Because they don't know it.)

It's always "Good morning sir, how are you today"

Cheers - Phil. :)

mmcv

"Good evening sir, this is your bank, who you have banked with for many years...."

DecemDave

Yesterday

"Can I speak to X please"
"what about"
"about the minor accident"
"are you a friend or a relative, because I am sorry I have some bad news for you that he is not very well at all and.... blah gabble waffle
They rang off in the middle of me speaking!   I was just warming up.

DecemDave

QuoteTo me, the other complete giveaway is that they never call you by your name. (Because they don't know it.)

Sadly some do.  I once was daft enough to fill in one of those "win a holiday" surveys at an airport.  Well the plane was delayed, I was "tired and emotional"...  Luckily I put a false first name with the real mobile number.  Its obviously for sale on a list somewhere as I have had quite a few calls for it since.

mmcv

My email address must have made its way onto a scammer list recently, getting 10-20 times the number of spam emails I used to. Thankfully the filters catch them but quite annoying as easier to miss the odd mistaken spam email that was actually legit.