Telephone Scammers.

Started by Techno, 13 June 2019, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Stroll on.... X_X

Have these ******* called the rest of the UK already !!!
Appears to only have taken then 3 weeks to get back around to me....Bet it's the same shots (sic) as before.

Starting from scratch again, perhaps ?  =)

(Oh for a real person on the end of the line, rather than the automated message.)

Cheers - Phil  ;)

Heedless Horseman

7 , SEVEN calls in 2 1/2 hours last Tuesday...strange(?)...day after U.K  Bank Hol? 2 BT recorded messages, 2 Service Provider recorded messages and 3 auto's that rang off as I paused before saying anything. At the time, I was trying to bathe my 86 yr old mother!. If 'they' could get Bin Laden they could get some of these b*****ds.  Not lol.   >:(
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno

AAARGH !!

After the single call a few days ago, I was expecting a load more.....But haven't had one since.
Probably trying to lull me into a false sense of security.

Sympathies, HH.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Last I had- UK voice over saying my visa card had been used in a foreign country, press 1 to find out more. Did si and was told by an Asian voice I had rung them. Let you imagine my reply !. Then checked with bank and Cc coy, it were a scam. Lady at Lloyds was amused by my response to spammers.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

There was a very good prog on Channel 5 last night featuring an 'ethical hacker' who showed the 'tricks of the trade', and how the naughty people use them.

(Some of this has been mentioned already, in previous posts....but it cleared up a few things in what passes for my mind.)

There was a tiny little 'computer', about the size of a 20 packet of 20 ciggys that was shown....Yours for £30...that could be programmed to spit out 200 calls a second.
They 'use the net' to make these calls, so it's not like they're paying proper money for them.

No wonder there are so many of these wretched calls floating around.

He also showed how he could make a call, (or send a text) and make it appear that it came from ANY telephone number he wanted.....Your bank, the taxman, 10 Downing street, a family member.....you name it !

Makes me even more wary now !  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

There've been a few tenants at No. 10 that I could imagine using such machines and tactics (Pitt the Elder and Disraeli, to name the safer ones).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

I'm sure we've all been plagued by this.

As somebody who works in IT (and sometimes Telecomms) I am hugely disappointed that our telecomms providers aren't doing more to de-tox the wires they run into our houses.

My own experience relates to a busy time, expecting an important medical call; 4 or 5 calls in one morning form "Microsoft".
* Finally decided to report to my provider to have the source blocked. What a rigmarole to try to find the provider's number. What a wait.
* Described the problem, provider asked for the source number.
* When I reported it was withheld, I was told "We can't do anything because we can't tell where it's coming from".
* Listen sunshine: You bill these bandits (directly or indirectly), you relay my voice direct to their handset - you most certainly know who they are (of could find out in seconds based on your call records).

The technical solutions are very easy (Track the sources sending 30+ simultaneous messages throughout the working day).
The technical solution isn't applied because it would involve some loss of revenue.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: andys on 09 August 2019, 09:14:52 PM
I always ask them what colour underwear they have on, in a loud, clear and confident voice. Doesn't matter if the caller is male or female.

Never respond to anything they say, just keep on repeating the same question, even if they tell you the answer, until they eventually hang up.

I like to repeatedly ask if they're a computer, questioning them with, "Are you sure?" if they say otherwise  ;)

Or, if it's the accident lot, "Blimey that was quick, the fire brigade hasn't even made it to cut me out yet!"
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 June 2019, 07:25:39 AM
Shouldn't be possible with modern cars, the nozzles on the pipes are different sizes, and the cars have gates on the tank to stop the wrong pump fitting.

IanS

You shouldn't be able to get diesel into a petrol becasue a diesel nozzle's wider, but you can get petrol into a diesel - only done it once and thankfully reslised before I started the engiune!  :-[
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Orcs

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 06 August 2020, 11:30:41 AM
You shouldn't be able to get diesel into a petrol becasue a diesel nozzle's wider, but you can get petrol into a diesel - only done it once and thankfully reslised before I started the engiune!  :-[

They should make the nozzles different shapes. I did it once and realised before starting the engine, the recovery man said he picks up an average of 6 a week incorrectly fuelled vehicles.

Need an FV432 as it runs on anything. Its also zero road tax and does not require an MOT 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sean66

the problem with a 432 is the tracks are a bit dearer than wheels and you go through them faster.
also I think council might want a bit of money every six months to relay your road  ;D
regards
Sean

Orcs

Quote from: sean66 on 06 August 2020, 01:19:51 PM
the problem with a 432 is the tracks are a bit dearer than wheels and you go through them faster.
also I think council might want a bit of money every six months to relay your road  ;D
regards
Sean

The state of the roads around me they won't notice.  There are more potholes than road in some places
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote from: sean66 on 06 August 2020, 01:19:51 PM
regards
Sean

It's got rubber blocks on the tracks for just that reason

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 06 August 2020, 01:23:34 PM
The state of the roads around me they won't notice.  There are more potholes than road in some places

They've actually been repairing some reasonably large chunks of road here, recently......That'll spoil my games of pothole slalom, driving into Cardigan. :(

Cheers - Phil ;)

The gravel surface isn't too durable Phil  :D