More ACW Poses

Started by KingofStones, 14 May 2019, 03:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingofStones

I'd love to see a standing pose for both Union and Confederate foot soldiers, as well as more ACW civilians and foot casualties (again for both armies). The standing foot troops are what I'd like to see the most (both types for both armies if possible), and more variety for the civilians/casualties would really help in larger dioramas etc.

And I'd just like to say the current stuff is fantastic. Someone else mentioned the artillery could be a bit larger to fit the scale, that would be great if the line ever gets revisited, but I think it already did a while ago so I won't hold my breath on that. Current artillery and sculpts are still great and a pleasure to paint, don't think I'm complaining—just thirsty for more!

Leman

What exactly do you mean by 'standing?'
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

KingofStones

14 May 2019, 05:10:43 PM #2 Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 05:14:50 PM by KingofStones
Quote from: Leman on 14 May 2019, 04:58:31 PM
What exactly do you mean by 'standing?'

Just a neutral formation pose like the 'standing' troops in the AWI line:

https://pendraken.co.uk/18th-century/american-war-of-independence/british/

The infantry there have standing, marching, charging, and firing. I find the standing and marching to be the poses that look best as the troops spend more time moving around and positioning. They also look great or are useful for dioramas either large or small. Can have a row of troops awaiting review or use one or two in a small guard post scene. I should also clarify when I say 'both types for both armies' I mean where it says 'type 1' and 'type 2' on the ACW page, with one type having more gear that adds some further variety.

Nothing urgent and I know there are probably jobs in the queue way before this, just something I'd personally like to see. Thanks for taking a look!

fsn

I'm with you, your Megalithic Majesty.

I'm a big one for the "advancing" pose for the ACW, but can see the attraction of "standing".
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Ideally all at the left shoulder shift about to "step-off", right is ok, but please don't mix them up!

FierceKitty

I fancy same general idea of a pose but rather uneven and amateur execution, as befits the armies.Some firing from the shoulder, others from the waist, a few holding weapons at 45 degree elevation to front.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

KingofStones

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 May 2019, 06:30:21 AM
I fancy same general idea of a pose but rather uneven and amateur execution, as befits the armies.Some firing from the shoulder, others from the waist, a few holding weapons at 45 degree elevation to front.

This is an interesting concept. I'd still like a more uniform 'standing' set as a baseline, but I would definitely pick up a couple of these for 'standing' as well as 'marching'. Current marching is fine for me and has good variation, but a sloppier discipline set scattered in could be a fantastic visual accent. I know most people want to see new units and ranges, but Pendraken sculpts are so good I would enjoy pushing my armies to something that can function as both an army and a part of a diorama. With a standing pose and a few more poses for some of the other stuff I could see two ACW armies forming a spectacular battle scene at every stage of a game.

John Cook

Quote from: Dr Dave on 14 May 2019, 08:35:30 PM
Ideally all at the left shoulder shift about to "step-off", right is ok, but please don't mix them up!

See https://acws.co.uk/gilhams/gilharms.htm

Right Shoulder - Shift is typical when marching, Order Arms or Shoulder Arms on the left when standing at attention.  There is no Left Shoulder - Shift.  Soldiers spend the larger part of their time standing in 'hurry up and wait' mode, or marching between battles.  The rest of the time they are either eating or sleeping.  Hardly any time at all, in comparison, is spent in advance to contact or firing at something.  Not much has changed over the centuries.  I prefer marching figures.  Nothing too flamboyant.

Leman

Such a pose will certainly suit all quiet on the Potomac. Not much action; maybe one casualty.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

John Cook

Quote from: Leman on 15 May 2019, 08:55:59 PM
Such a pose will certainly suit all quiet on the Potomac. Not much action; maybe one casualty.

And when not on campaign they'd spend most of their time training - drill and more drill.  The rest of the time would be spent eating and sleeping.

Westmarcher

16 May 2019, 08:20:40 PM #10 Last Edit: 16 May 2019, 08:36:57 PM by Westmarcher
Might be good to have something else to go with the 'standing' command packs (in addition to the firing poses).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.