Vickers CS tanks in the Desert - confused

Started by Dr Dave, 25 April 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

For the A9 AT attacks it says "0/40" and the AT for the A10 says "1/40". In the BEF lists it says that both have 0/40 AT attacks. Both tanks used the 3.7" gun.

Three questions:
1. In the notes it says they have no Armour piercing ammo - so the attacks in the lists are their HE rounds being used vs armour right?
2. Is the A10 1/40 AT attack in the desert an error and it should be 0/40?
3. "0" attacks (it's not a dash): so that means 0 at 40, but then +1 at 1/2 range, so 1 attack when within 20 - is that right?

Thanks in advance

Big Insect

Ah yes ... the old Vickers tank nightmare ... oh how this has driven me completely nuts.

I'll check - but if I remember correctly, although they both use the same gun one had no AT (or even HE) ammunition but can fire only Smoke, the other carried a very limited stock of HE and that has an AT effect (not great at it's max range) but was more effective at closer range - hence it gets the +1 under half range modifier.

0-40 is the range at which the Smoke can be fired. There is no HE ammo carried so no +1 for under half-range. This needs an error clarification note.

I will clarify .... might take me a day or 2 to reply as I had buried all my Vickers tank variant info in a very deep hole in the back garden and stamped on it, as I knew I'd be bound to get it wrong somewhere along the line  >:(  :'( :'( :'( :'(
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.