What parts of the hobby do you enjoy least?

Started by FierceKitty, 19 February 2019, 04:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: Matt J on 19 February 2019, 12:21:47 PM
[quoteQuote from: Matt J on Today at 11:07:30 AM
Despite owning mountains of models, hours (days, months, years!) of painting, numerous rulesets purchased and read, I have never, ever played an historical wargame...

(makes me a bit sad really  Sad)

How come?]

Don't know really, it just has never happened, geography doesn't help - living in rural Shropshire, don't think there are any clubs anywhere near, and haven't got it in me to go solo.
Play GW board games with my brother now and again but that about it.
Got boxes of lovely painted stuff that once finished are packed away and have never seen the light of day again.

That's a shame. I've not had the time or opportunity to check out any local clubs yet, and haven't yet got any friends hooked on it so most of my games are solo. To be honest, it can still be quite fun and based on some of the comments here means you don't have to deal with any unsavoury other players. Unless you're an unsavoury player yourself of course...

But can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed playing. I always thought I'd just be interested in painting but have been enjoying the games too and inspires the painting projects to get new units out together to suit the games.

Techno

Leman

Quote from: Matt J on 19 February 2019, 11:07:30 AM
Despite owning mountains of models, hours (days, months, years!) of painting, numerous rulesets purchased and read, I have never, ever played an historical wargame...

(makes me a bit sad really  :()
So actually you've never played a wargame. Presumably you are a fantasy gamer who has arrived on the wrong site. I suppose I should have added that to my very short list. People who refer to fantasy gaming and board games as wargames. When I started wargaming the only people who played with faeries were girls. I shall now return this can of worms to FK.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

19 February 2019, 04:31:18 PM #18 Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 04:34:53 PM by Norm
Quote from: Matt J on 19 February 2019, 11:07:30 AM

(makes me a bit sad really  :()

Matt, That is a great shame, since you have invested in time and painting and actually have stuff to use, I wonder whether it is worth you picking up a copy of Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames rules. In terms of rules, they are a mixed blessing, but they are short, there are 30 situations (scenarios) described in the book, which are interesting to play, you only need 4 - 6 units per side and you can play in less than a 3' x 3' space with a big stuff and a smaller space with the  smaller scales.

I only mention these because they are so easy to get up on the table, play in less that the 'advertised' hour and putting away is quick and easy. It would get you into gear for throwing dice and moving things in a solo game. The rules are so easy you cannot put a foot wrong, but it may be just the thing to kick start some gaming. Solo gaming is probably much more common than forums / magazines etc might suggest, just play both sides well, the dice will provide the variables. I hope you have a go.

Here is a link to a post I blogged about the rules and an AAR to a game that I played solo, hope it helps. cheers Norm.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2015/04/1-hour-wargames-initial-look.html

Glorfindel

Definitely, over-competitive players and untidy tables (years of
effort to create a miniature masterpiece and then cover it in
coke cans !!)   I'm sure there's an explanation... :-

Phil

Glorfindel

Matt,

What a nightmare, particularly when we all know how much time
it takes to paint the little blighters up.

I think I am really lucky - we have a small gaming group of four
who get together every Friday night and are not too far from you
(Wolverhampton).   You are very welcome to get in touch if you
want to explore the possibility of a game.

Cheers,

Phil

Ben Waterhouse

I only play solo... but that's my choice...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Dr Dave

I despise Cheaters.  >:(

I know a chap (who's now stopped coming to our club) who'd measured various parts of his arms and fingers to help him "estimate" ranges during games where actual measuring was not permitted. He'd lean over the table and ponder if he was in charge range etc... placing his arm next to the units in question.

On a personal note, he was an utter knob as well. 

Leman

Unfortunately they do exist, and seldom have  much of a grasp of military history. Quite happy to have an army almost entirely of Roman Praetorians and cataphracts to go up against Sumerians or Medieval Welsh.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Dr Dave on 19 February 2019, 06:29:47 PM
I despise Cheaters.  >:(

I know a chap (who's now stopped coming to our club) who'd measured various parts of his arms and fingers to help him "estimate" ranges during games where actual measuring was not permitted. He'd lean over the table and ponder if he was in charge range etc... placing his arm next to the units in question.

On a personal note, he was an utter knob as well. 

Tell me about it. I had the unfortunate experience of such a character destroying the last club I belonged to, along with " forgetting " to return models and scenery to people he had borrowed them from...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

mollinary

To the Strongest is a set of rules which minimises the situations in which this sort of player can flourish by removing measuring and angles and such by inserting a grid. But do not underestimate the power of human ingenuity! While still a novice at the system I was faced with an opponent who, regardless of how many times he was asked, would never announce what he intended to do before he drew his activation card. This allowed him to adjust his aspirations downwards if faced with a particularly low draw. A minor advantage, but hugely IRRITATING!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: mollinary on 19 February 2019, 08:04:42 PM
To the Strongest is a set of rules which minimises the situations in which this sort of player can flourish by removing measuring and angles and such by inserting a grid. But do not underestimate the power of human ingenuity! While still a novice at the system I was faced with an opponent who, regardless of how many times he was asked, would never announce what he intended to do before he drew his activation card. This allowed him to adjust his aspirations downwards if faced with a particularly low draw. A minor advantage, but hugely IRRITATING!
I think you are being generous calling it a "minor advantage"  :)
If it were FK&P it would be a major advantage.

The temptation to cheat in solo play is great. I have had to resort to "stoppage of gin" to quell it.

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

mollinary

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 February 2019, 08:21:25 PM
I think you are being generous calling it a "minor advantage"  :)
If it were FK&P it would be a major advantage.

The temptation to cheat in solo play is great. I have had to resort to "stoppage of gin" to quell it.

If only 'stoppage of gin' could be imposed on an opponent!  I fear he may appear at the 'To the Strongest'  World Championships this weekend. - I trust he has mended his ways!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Subedai

In order of hateness:

Rebasing anything.

Painting horses.

Scale creep.

Rebasing anything.

People who decry smaller scales as not proper figures.

Players who cheat.

Painting horses.

Rivet counters

People with huge backpacks, BO or both at shows

Rebasing anything.

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

mmcv

Quote from: Subedai on 19 February 2019, 09:15:53 PM

Painting horses

Is that because of or in spite of your love of Mongols, Subedai?

A lot of people seem to have issues with painting horses, is it just the horses themselves and all their leathery strappy bits, or cavalry in general?

The bit that annoys me about cavalry is the numerous awkward angles and deep crevices between horse and man that can be a pain to paint without blobbing a bit. The tack, while tedious, isn't quite so annoying if done in small doses.