Krieg 1919, Alternative History WW1 miniatures

Started by Noktu, 30 December 2018, 08:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noktu

Quote from: Glorfindel on 01 January 2019, 11:09:10 AM
...by the way, any chance of a quick run through on your basing technique ?

Really looks effective.

Everything is Pendraken.

For infantry I used 19th century Prussians and their Krupp Siege Cannons for the artillery pieces.

Truck was Fiat 621 truck

The walking panzer is from the Pendraken Scifi Humans line, they do have a smaller walker aswell.

I just basically ran through the store looking for something that could fit the "era".

For bases I use minibits round mdf bases. starting from 25mm for 2 infantrymen.

I use dark brown sand made to be used with miniatures which I drybrush with Army Painter "skeleton Brown", here I also gave it a highlight with 50/50 mix with Matt White and Skeleton Brown.

For Grass I used (https://www.war-world.co.uk/) 2mm (2mm height works best with this scale) Winter Static Grass, and for snow I used Army Painters snow.

With grass and snow it's important to remember to dillute the PVA enough, not to make it runny as water but you'll get the feel when it's enough.

Hope this helps!

Glorfindel

Thank you - really useful and much appreciated.   

Phil

Noktu

Quote from: Glorfindel on 01 January 2019, 02:14:45 PM
Thank you - really useful and much appreciated.   

Phil

Also, I always varnish the units after the sand is drybrushed. And after drying up I proceed to add grass.

And with 10mm figures, I always apply pva around the feet of the miniatures, as to camouflage the base the miniature stands on with grass.

Noktu

Quote from: Terry37 on 31 December 2018, 08:55:25 PM
VERY nicely done!!! Love weird War, and just got the final figs needed to complete my British army. Hope to be able to get to them soon because seeing yours is a nice inspiration!

Terry

Cant wait to see your brits!

Also have some inspirational art!

Leman

What a shame - the little blue square and question mark strike again  :'( :'( :'(
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Noktu

Quote from: Leman on 02 January 2019, 11:03:32 AM
What a shame - the little blue square and question mark strike again  :'( :'( :'(

Yeah weird indeed! I can not see it on my phone either.

By the way guys! I just found awesome weird Dieselpunky miniatures. Dystopian Wars range, which was discontinued have been re-introduced.

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/1174-dystopian-wars

And this guy has a bunch of them with Pendraken miniatures so you can see the size comparison. Which in my opinion is perfect!

http://weirdwars.pbworks.com/w/page/69748087/Weird%20Wars%20-%20WWI%2010mm%20British%20Empire%20Gallery

Leman

From what I've seen so far it all looks very tempting, although I would be inclined to go Late Victorian and use my FPW, RJW and WWI E.Front troops alongside a few machines. Steampunk and Leonardo early C16th are about the only fantasy that I could get enthusiastic about.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shedman

The Dystopian Wars range is 1/600th I believe. I use the land based stuff with my 6mm Sci-Fi infantry - looks just as good with 10mm

fred.

These look really great, very nicely done, and a great way to spruce up a boardgame.

The Iron Harvest world has been used for the Scythe board game (and recent computer game adaptation). For the board game you can buy the plastic mechs as 'replacement' parts, I seem to recall they were pretty reasonably priced. If you can't find the site let me know and I will have a look.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Glorfindel

Every so often, something like this comes along and just sparks your
imagination.

IMHO, the FPW figures look perfect as the picklehaube gives them an
almost caricatured look.   The only problem, obviously, is going to be
the mechs, particularly if you want to use them in any volume.

I've just spent quite a time scouring the net for something suitable
but without luck so far.   I might have to resort to asking TMP...

If the 'mech question' can be solved, I am thinking of raising a couple
of armies.   

They must be out there somewhere (everything else is !)

Phil

lowlylowlycook

All Quiet on the Martian Front is definitely weird WW1 but it's 15mm.  Still you might find some stuff you can use.

fred.

These are the mechs from Scythe game

https://stonemaier-games.myshopify.com/collections/scythe/products/25-scythe-miniatures

Not the best picture of the mechs (the characters are at the front of the picture, and they are more like 25mm sized, and are not to scale with the mechs)

There are also these from the expansion

This image of the metal mechs perhaps gives a better look at them

I've only played a mate's copy of the physical game - but I think these would scale well enough for 10mm
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Fenton

02 January 2019, 11:26:09 PM #27 Last Edit: 02 January 2019, 11:28:50 PM by Fenton
Quote from: Glorfindel on 02 January 2019, 08:42:12 PM
Every so often, something like this comes along and just sparks your
imagination.

IMHO, the FPW figures look perfect as the picklehaube gives them an
almost caricatured look.   The only problem, obviously, is going to be
the mechs, particularly if you want to use them in any volume.

I've just spent quite a time scouring the net for something suitable
but without luck so far.   I might have to resort to asking TMP...

If the 'mech question' can be solved, I am thinking of raising a couple
of armies.  

They must be out there somewhere (everything else is !) the

Phil

Troublemaker games did 10mm steampunk miniatures before they sold to Vanguard Miniatures. Might be worth dropping them a line to see if they have any or if they have the moulds

HLS models still have a few bits and pieces on their site
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Trawled from the internet - Steampunked GW Necrons as Mecha?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!