Female Doctor

Started by FierceKitty, 21 November 2018, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leman on 22 November 2018, 11:36:23 AM
Boohoo, nasty things happened in India. Lets have an episode where the doctor stops something bloody unpleasant happening in this country. It might involve Irish republicans, misguided muslims, kids with knives - there's plenty to choose from. Why not the completely brutal replacement of the 5000 Saxon jarls with 200 Norman knights. We still haven't recovered from that particular French exchange visit.

On a slightly different tack, this series has turned me off to the same extent that Colin Baker did. As a result the only time I ever saw Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor was as he was turning into one of the McCaan brothers (can't remember which one).

I'm more bothered that the Doc' can't make up her mind about interfering or not interfering.
Usually ends up meddling, but didn't seem to resolve the problem for 4 of the first 5 episodes.

Fascinated to see the usual suspects in our "Opinion forming media" calling out the Rosa Parks episode as "PC (gone mad optional)" - do our Press barons really support the idea of segregated public transport?

Returning to the Television Show for the minute.
I don't mind Jodie Whittaker - as good an most of the post revival doctors, and better than the latter half of the pre-revival ones.
I'm sure she will grow into the role and shine when better written episodes are presented.
The Scatterbrained business can get a bit tiring when there's only a weak plot to pull on, but no more so that scatterbrainbed Tennant "Allons Y!!" or Smith (Let's run about madly).
It originates with Tom Baker, and reflects screenwriters attempting to portray a genius solving problems in an accessible manner.

Other items:
Special effect budget is notably improved on earlier versions, there's some nice CGI going on there.
Team Tardis: Too many sidekicks; leaves none of them with much to do. Batman had one Robin, Robin had one Little John.  Boss, Sidekick, Allies - It's the law.

Scriptwriting:
Feels like the weakest link to date.
Too long spent in build up leading to rushed unsatisfying resolution.
All comes across as a bit random, but paradoxically extremely predictable - The last (Amazon warehouse spoof) episode being an honourable exception.

Pace:
It's difficult to tell whether a common theme will unite the episodes - something that turned into a curse of the Moffatt era - of whether each episode will be a standalone.
I'd like to see the stories established rather earlier in each episode leaving more time for the adventure to develop.

Still a better story than Twilight.

Raider4

Quote from: Wulf on 22 November 2018, 12:01:52 PM
Maybe they were returning to the show's roots - before the first episode aired, the intention was for the Doctor to visit various historical times and make the show more educational then has been the case ever since.

It certainly was. Look at the first ever series - cavemen, sci-fi (daleks), Marco Polo, sci-fi, Aztecs, sci-fi, French Revolution.

I stopped watching 'original' Dr. Who sometime during the Tom Baker era - I distinctly remember his costume suddenly acquiring question marks embroidered onto his shirt collars and thinking 'this is just silly now'. (Probably me just growing up).

Started watching the re-booted series, stopped sometime during David Tennant's second series (I think - after Billie Piper had left) when I realised that most stories consisted of him running around at high speed, and then solving everything by waving his magic wand sonic screwdriver (or there'd be some unlikely explanation as to why the magic wand sonic screwdriver would not work in this particular set of circumstances).

So, never seen Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor.

The ridiculously on-message PC slant has been a part of Doctor Who since the re-boot started, as far as I can tell.

Cheers, M.
--

toxicpixie

Quote from: Leman on 21 November 2018, 12:43:16 PM
... or the appalling treatment of the Anglo-Saxons by the Normans (French) which has developed into the pernicious class system which is still highly evident in this country.

Ooo, The Dr. versus Bill the Conq & The Harrying of the North would make an awesome episode...

We've enjoyed them, whereas we watched none of the Capaldi run and had switched off after not many of the series before (I recall Clara turning out to be the "trick key" for the Dr.s entire timeline and life was a "meh" moment, but I think our patience had worn out well before then!).
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sandinista

I never saw any of the Capaldi series, which is odd as I quite like him. I am enjoying the new series, never an award winning series but one worth watching.
I will try to catch up on previous Drs to see how they compare.

cheers
Ian