Female Doctor

Started by FierceKitty, 21 November 2018, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Quote from: Westmarcher on 22 November 2018, 09:55:17 AMMrs Westie, with some 40 years experience in education (Teacher, Deputy Head Teacher, Head Teacher, School Inspector), said it was very educational - if you think about it, there will be a lot of younger viewers watching this (and ignorant older ones too, I suppose) who know nothing about Indian Partition and Segregation, etc.
There's no doubt, this and the Rosa Parks episode were well told and informative stories of historical & cultural importance, but that alone doesn't make them suitable material for Doctor Who!

Maybe they were returning to the show's roots - before the first episode aired, the intention was for the Doctor to visit various historical times and make the show more educational then has been the case ever since.

mollinary

Quote from: Wulf on 22 November 2018, 12:01:52 PM

Maybe they were returning to the show's roots - before the first episode aired, the intention was for the Doctor to visit various historical times and make the show more educational then has been the case ever since.

Maybe that is why the first Doctor, William Hartnell, is still my favourite. Many of his trips were historical, and I particulalrly remember his visit to the Aztecs.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: Wulf on 22 November 2018, 12:01:52 PM
There's no doubt, this and the Rosa Parks episode were well told and informative stories of historical & cultural importance, but that alone doesn't make them suitable material for Doctor Who!
The "historical" side does tend to get a swift overcoat of gooey gloss. For example in the Partition of India episode the message ws "well the British have partitioned India." This wasn't a whim of the Raj, it was something that was being pushed for by both Hindus and Muslims.  They made great play of the Indians who volunteered to fight for the Empire, but no mention of the Indian Nationalist Army who were on the other side.

In our hobby, we should know that history is complicated and messy. My concern with the Who writers is that they put over a single message without any nod to the wider story. Just think how the Punjab story would have been different if Graham had asked "why are the British partitioning India then?" 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Very well said, Nobby.

From what's been posted already....I just won't bother to watch any episodes, at all.

I'll just 'cheat' and tell Von the results of 'Strictly' before they show it, on the Sunday...As that's Von's 'thing'.

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

With Hartnell the producers were told to alternate between sci-fi and educational historical stories
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

kabrank

In discussions with a long time friend and Dr Who watcher [both of us started with Hartnell] our general conclusion was that whilst the new show runner/main writer can write and the cast are OK [in Female Doctor] he does not understand sci fi and appears to just be rehashing well worn sci fi tropes.

Whilst Dr Who has always done this in part there is a massive lack or imagination and reinvention in this series [accidentally caught some old David Tennant episodes on free view and was reminded how good some of these episodes were].

Whilst Moffat appears to have had some failings as a show runner in the last couple of seasons many of his 40+ stories were significantly impressive, inventive and creative.

Hopefully the series will improve as it would be a shame if the Female doctor experiment failed due to poor stories

Leman

Not just poor stories, but, as has been mentioned, the character Jodie Whittaker has had to assume: the manic behaviour, silly trousers and never seeming to actually explain anything. Surely the doctor's character should not really change so dramatically from one regeneration to the next. I think this has been a flaw in the entire series. Although I liked Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker as the doctor, they did seem to be totally different people from their predecessors. Another problem is the programme audience - it is clearly no longer a children's programme. Some of the stories have been quite disturbing, eg. Are you my mummy? Yet it still seems to want to cling to the children's hour audience as well - hence I presume the clowning around. It is fast becoming a curate's egg past its sell by date.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Quote from: Leman on 23 November 2018, 11:09:46 AM
Are you my mummy?

That definitely WAS creepy !!!

If I'd been as young as when the Daleks first appeared.....I'd have been hiding behind the sofa...Again. X_X X_X X_X X_X
You're quite right, Andy......It's not a children's series anymore.... I don't think it has been for quite a while.

I'll try and catch it this weekend...So I can at least join in with the discussion.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

That's my fancy dress party outfit - lab coat, bow tie and gas mask.   :D

Just ask a few people if they're my mummy and you can clear a room.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 23 November 2018, 12:32:28 PM
That's my fancy dress party outfit - lab coat, bow tie and gas mask.   :D

Fsn putting on his gas mask ...

p.s. I watched the most recent episode on BBC i-player last night .... and quite enjoyed it.  :-/  Still prefer David Tennant and Matt Smith, mind you. Maybe we've seen it all and it's simply getting harder for the script writers to come up with new story lines to please us?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Wulf

I break into a cold sweat & get short of breath near waxworks & shop window dummies. Madame Tussaud's was a hideous experience for me.

I most definitely blame the Autons... :(

Techno

The other beasties (Not Dr Who) that I found very disturbing were the Cybernauts, from 'The Avengers'.

They moved very slowly, but with an awful lot of menace....Like they were never going to stop until they caught up with their victim. EEEEK !!

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

Quote from: Techno on 23 November 2018, 01:44:02 PM
The other beasties (Not Dr Who) that I found very disturbing were the Cybernauts, from 'The Avengers'.

They moved very slowly, but with an awful lot of menace....Like they were never going to stop until they caught up with their victim. EEEEK !!
Yes, like the old movie Mummy, shambling along dragging on foot, but always right behind you no matter how fast you run...

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 23 November 2018, 01:44:02 PM

Cheers - Phil

I thought Purdey was creepy. Never giving poor Gambit a break....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: Wulf on 23 November 2018, 01:59:49 PM
Yes, like the old movie Mummy, shambling along dragging on foot, but always right behind you no matter how fast you run...

Exactly !!  :-SS :-SS :-SS

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 November 2018, 03:13:04 PM
I thought Purdey was creepy. Never giving poor Gambit a break....

I wasn't keen on Purdey.....Don't think anyone could have bettered Emma Peel. :x :x  ;)

Cheers - Phil