1809 Allies - Not-Kickstarter! - Pledging closed, Naps getting sculpted!

Started by Leon, 09 October 2018, 10:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Have a look on W J Rawkins site. They have very reasonably priced downloads that might contain the information you need.

John Cook

Quote from: Chad on 02 February 2019, 08:56:03 AM
Have a look on W J Rawkins site. They have very reasonably priced downloads that might contain the information you need.

I had no idea Rawkins publications were still available?  I had some of them about 40 years ago.  There is nothing, as I remember, on colours and standards in them and they were not entirely reliable.

Chad

John

They have and are being completely updated. As I said at the price for a download Ed booklet it is not a huge investment. I have several and am very happy with them. Currently waiting for some of the new booklets currently in preparation

Chad

sultanbev

I have the current Rawkins book on the Duchy of Warsaw 1807-1814.
It details  flags for 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th8th, 13th 14th, 17th infantry regiments
1st chasseurs and uhlans

The current Rawkins editions are worth every penny, I spend £20 getting each printed out and sprial bound, although some are now so big as to need two volumes.
Mark

Chad

Mark
👍

I keep mine on my laptop at the moment. As you say very good.

Chad

John Cook

Quote from: Chad on 02 February 2019, 01:53:15 PM
John

They have and are being completely updated. As I said at the price for a download Ed booklet it is not a huge investment. I have several and am very happy with them. Currently waiting for some of the new booklets currently in preparation

Chad

Does he give his sources these days?

Zippee

Quote from: John Cook on 02 February 2019, 09:17:07 PM

Does he give his sources these days?

He does, for instance this is his sources page from CB03 - The Kingdom of Italy 1805-14

SOURCES
Addobatti,A (Milan 1899) Il Reggimento Reale Dalmatta (Translated excerpts) Brandini & Crociani (Roma 1987) Uniformi del Primo Tricolore (Various Volumes) Broers, M. (London 1996) Europe Under Napoleon 1799-1815 Broers M (London 2005) The Napoleonic Empire In Italy 1796-1814 Brnardic V (London 2004) Napoleon's Balkan Troops Capra, Carlo (Turin 1978) L'età Rivoluzionaria e Napoleonica in Italia 1796-1815 Connelly, Owen. (NY 1965) Napoleon's Satellite Kingdoms Currie J (London 1979) The Kingdom of Italy Infantry 1805-14 Elting J (NY 1988) Swords Around A Throne Franzozi P ed (Roma 1987) Napoleone in Italia Soldati e Uniformes Fugier, A. (Paris 1947) Napoleon et l'Italie (Translated excerpts) Galliani G Parisini G & Rocchiero G (Genova 1970) La Cavalleria di Linia Italica 1796-1814 Gregory, D. (AUP 2001) Napoleon's Italy Ilari & Crociani (Milano) La Marina Italiana di Napoleone 1796-1814 Ilari & Crociani (Milano) La Sanita Militare in Italia durante le Guerre Napoleoniche Knötel R & Sieg R Hamburg 1937) Handbuch der Uniformen Kunde Lemmi, F. (Milan 1906) Le Origini del Risorgimento Italiano, 1789-1815 Nafziger GF (London 2002) The Defense of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Northern Italy Oman, Carola (London 1966) Napoleon's Viceroy Eugéne Beauharnais Pigni, E (Milano 2001) La Guardia di Napoleone re d'Italia (Translated excerpts) Rawkins W J (Maidenhead 1977)The Italian Army 1805-1814 Rawkins W J & Evans P (Maidenhead 1975) Eagles Flags & Standards of the Italian Army 1805-14 Regnault, J (Paris 1967) Les Aigles Imperiales et le Drapeau Treicolore 1804-1815 Schneid FC (USA 1995) Soldiers of Napoleon's kingdom of Italy 1800-1815 Articles and essays from the contributors to the following magazines and online facilities Tradition, Napoleon Series, Société D'histoire Italie, Depesche, Император, Uniformes, Napitalia, Napoleon Online, Le Service historique de l'armée de terre, Marina Militare, Flags Forum. The art of H Boisselier M Brandini Peter Bunde Quinto Cenni Forthoffer Hoffman André Jouineau H Knötel R Knötel Rene North Perconte Rigo Suhr Brothers E Wagner Weiland F Berjaud

The 'e-books' [sorry a PDF on a CD isn't an e-book but never mind  ;)] are not exhaustively footnoted but they are massively updated on the original paperback series and offer probably the single best single-source, all wrapped up together study of each army that's in the reach of the majority of wargamers. Like all secondary information collections they will never be sufficient for the series academic or student who wishes to research for themselves but for the typical wargamer they are pretty darn good.

Chad

John Cook

Quote from: Zippee on 03 February 2019, 12:41:42 PM
He does, for instance this is his sources page from CB03 - The Kingdom of Italy 1805-14

SOURCES
Addobatti,A (Milan 1899) Il Reggimento Reale Dalmatta (Translated excerpts) Brandini & Crociani (Roma 1987) Uniformi del Primo Tricolore (Various Volumes) Broers, M. (London 1996) Europe Under Napoleon 1799-1815 Broers M (London 2005) The Napoleonic Empire In Italy 1796-1814 Brnardic V (London 2004) Napoleon's Balkan Troops Capra, Carlo (Turin 1978) L'età Rivoluzionaria e Napoleonica in Italia 1796-1815 Connelly, Owen. (NY 1965) Napoleon's Satellite Kingdoms Currie J (London 1979) The Kingdom of Italy Infantry 1805-14 Elting J (NY 1988) Swords Around A Throne Franzozi P ed (Roma 1987) Napoleone in Italia Soldati e Uniformes Fugier, A. (Paris 1947) Napoleon et l'Italie (Translated excerpts) Galliani G Parisini G & Rocchiero G (Genova 1970) La Cavalleria di Linia Italica 1796-1814 Gregory, D. (AUP 2001) Napoleon's Italy Ilari & Crociani (Milano) La Marina Italiana di Napoleone 1796-1814 Ilari & Crociani (Milano) La Sanita Militare in Italia durante le Guerre Napoleoniche Knötel R & Sieg R Hamburg 1937) Handbuch der Uniformen Kunde Lemmi, F. (Milan 1906) Le Origini del Risorgimento Italiano, 1789-1815 Nafziger GF (London 2002) The Defense of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Northern Italy Oman, Carola (London 1966) Napoleon's Viceroy Eugéne Beauharnais Pigni, E (Milano 2001) La Guardia di Napoleone re d'Italia (Translated excerpts) Rawkins W J (Maidenhead 1977)The Italian Army 1805-1814 Rawkins W J & Evans P (Maidenhead 1975) Eagles Flags & Standards of the Italian Army 1805-14 Regnault, J (Paris 1967) Les Aigles Imperiales et le Drapeau Treicolore 1804-1815 Schneid FC (USA 1995) Soldiers of Napoleon's kingdom of Italy 1800-1815 Articles and essays from the contributors to the following magazines and online facilities Tradition, Napoleon Series, Société D'histoire Italie, Depesche, Император, Uniformes, Napitalia, Napoleon Online, Le Service historique de l'armée de terre, Marina Militare, Flags Forum. The art of H Boisselier M Brandini Peter Bunde Quinto Cenni Forthoffer Hoffman André Jouineau H Knötel R Knötel Rene North Perconte Rigo Suhr Brothers E Wagner Weiland F Berjaud

The 'e-books' [sorry a PDF on a CD isn't an e-book but never mind  ;)] are not exhaustively footnoted but they are massively updated on the original paperback series and offer probably the single best single-source, all wrapped up together study of each army that's in the reach of the majority of wargamers. Like all secondary information collections they will never be sufficient for the series academic or student who wishes to research for themselves but for the typical wargamer they are pretty darn good.

Thanks for that.  People can get a bit anal when it comes to source material but one of the principle criticisms of his original stuff was that he didn't provide any at all.    I've been collecting plates, regulations and books for nearly 50 years and I recognise a lot of this material.

TinyTinTroops

Hi John

Just got back from York show and got your e-mail. When I tried to reply your server rejected my reply.

This doesn't always mean that the e-mail didn't get to you but, in case it didn't, I'll answer it here and say that I would be very grateful to see the scans that you mention. I can read pretty well any graphic format or PDF, which ever is the easiest for you. French text is not a problem for me.

Thanks

Tony of TTT
Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

TinyTinTroops

Quote from: sultanbev on 02 February 2019, 03:22:09 PM
I have the current Rawkins book on the Duchy of Warsaw 1807-1814.
It details  flags for 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th8th, 13th 14th, 17th infantry regiments
1st chasseurs and uhlans

The current Rawkins editions are worth every penny, I spend £20 getting each printed out and sprial bound, although some are now so big as to need two volumes.
Mark

Hi Mark

Does it contain any illustrations of the flags ? Particularly I'm looking for photos of the surviving flags or drawings taken from them. I have text descriptions of the flags but they don't give enough to draw a flag from as there is no indication of the size or positioning of the elements listed in the descriptions.

Tony of TTT

sultanbev

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 04 February 2019, 03:32:26 PM
Hi Mark

Does it contain any illustrations of the flags ? Particularly I'm looking for photos of the surviving flags or drawings taken from them. I have text descriptions of the flags but they don't give enough to draw a flag from as there is no indication of the size or positioning of the elements listed in the descriptions.

Tony of TTT

Some are descriptions only, but there are colour prints for the 1st, 4th, 6th, 8th, 13th, 14th and 17th Regiments, and 1st Chasseurs and 15th Uhlans. On pg124 there is colour painting of the Eagle Party for 5th Infantry Regiment,
Mark

TinyTinTroops

Hi Mark

That is good to know, they may be useful if other offers of help don't turn up the same info.

Tony of TTT

PS I spoke to Leon at the York show and the layout of the flags sheets has now been decided.

Wurttemberg (17 flags) & Hess-Darmstadt (12 flags) will have their own sheets and the Saxons will come on two sheets (totalling 26 flags) so that every Regiment can be catered for.

John Cook

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 04 February 2019, 03:28:59 PM
Hi John

Just got back from York show and got your e-mail. When I tried to reply your server rejected my reply.

This doesn't always mean that the e-mail didn't get to you but, in case it didn't, I'll answer it here and say that I would be very grateful to see the scans that you mention. I can read pretty well any graphic format or PDF, which ever is the easiest for you. French text is not a problem for me.

Thanks

Tony of TTT

That's IT for you.  I will scan and email the Rigondaud plates to you tomorrow.

Matt J

Hi Leon

finally sorted my order -

NHD1 x 3
NHD2 x 1
NHD3 x 1
NHD4 x 1
NHD5 x 1
NHD6 x 1

NSA1 x 4
NSA2 x 1
NSA3 x 1
NSA4 x 3
NSA5 x 1
NSA6 x 1
NSA7 x 1
NSA8 x 1
NSA9 x 2
NSA10 x 1
NSA12 x 2

It's a bit more than my original pledge (and only a fraction of what I will end up needing - bloody scary this Napoleonic lark, should've stuck to tanks  :D)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep