Upcoming Movies

Started by Leon, 30 August 2018, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Gave up on Wheel of Time after about 4 or 5 episodes. Ridiculously derivative and horribly, horribly, clichéd.

Tried The Witcher, didn't finish the first episode.

Just discovered The Silent Sea. Netflix series, Korean. Watched the first three episodes back-to-back. Gripping and suspenseful so far.

fsn

Silent Sea is gripping ... as long as you don't think about the physics too hard.
 :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Different strokes for different folks, clearly.

I've been enjoying Wheel of Time and The Expanse on Amazon Prime and was gifted a Netflix voucher so I could watch "The Witcher" which I also enjoyed.

I stayed overnight with friends recently and they were set for an evening watching "The Silent Sea" I managed about twenty minutes before giving up, going to the kitchen to make myself a coffee and communing with their guinea pigs until the first episode was done. We watched old Dr Who episodes for the rest of the evening.

Each to their own.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

I'm amazed there's been no attempt to reboot Ice Cold in Alex.

Plenty of wars where it could have been forcibly inserted.
I fear Hollywood could never assimilate the scene with honourable Germans.

Steve J

Wheel of Time was OK as my wife enjoys this sort of stuff. A lot of the fun was spotting stuff that was very LotR, which made us have a little titter. Certainly of its time in terms of the storyline. The Witcher took quite a while to get going in Season 2 and got better when some of the original characters from season 1 returned.

I'll check out the Korean series as I've not heard of that one. Frankly there's so much to choose from it can be hard to decide what to go for.

Raider4

23 January 2022, 11:51:02 AM #125 Last Edit: 23 January 2022, 12:03:49 PM by Raider4
QuoteEach to their own.
Aye, and amen to that. It would be a very dull world if we all liked exactly the same thing.

Raider4

Just finished Vikings Valhalla on netflix.

A carry-on from the original Vikings, moved forward into the 11th century and the time of Canute/Knut.

As before, takes historical figures and events and builds a fictional story using them.

Fairly typical "hairy men waving swords & axes around" stuff (see Game of Thrones, Vikings, The Last Kingdom, etc.).

Worth watching, not quite as good as the original, I think. 

fsn

I've just finished series 2 of "Ragnarok" on Netflix.

It's a Norwegian story about Magnar who is the re-incarnation of Thor and his battles against the Giants.

Bit weird, but fun spotting the clues. For example, the old man in the old folks home who has only one eye ...
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Big Insect

Quote from: fsn on 04 March 2022, 10:18:19 AMI've just finished series 2 of "Ragnarok" on Netflix.
It's a Norwegian story about Magnar who is the re-incarnation of Thor and his battles against the Giants.
Bit weird, but fun spotting the clues. For example, the old man in the old folks home who has only one eye ...

I also enjoyed this as well  :D
As you say, there are some interesting plays on the Old Norse legends - very clever how they 'create' the modern day Jörmungandr (the Midgard Serpent) - made me laugh but very 'plausible'.

I also re-watched the Netflix film Outlaw King (about the early campaigns of Robert Bruce) - which I enjoyed more the 2nd time around

Likewise I enjoyed The King as well, on a 2nd watch. Although the reinterpretation of Agincourt has a little bit too much artistic license (IMHO).

If you are into your Highland & Isles warfare, I'd also recommend watching the 2015 Macbeth with Michael Fassbender as the Thane of Cawdor on Amazon Prime - very good & very bloody.

And for further related Highland & Isles viewing - Valhalla Rising should be on your watch list - but this is very gruesome watching - but the use of the 2 handed axe in combat is very insightful and well observed.

On a lighter note ... I am also enjoying The marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime ... just for something totally different  ;D  ;D  ;D 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Raider4

Enjoyed the 1st episode of The Ipcress File last night on ITV.

Pleasantly surprised to find it's not full of eff-ing and jeff-ing, unlike most things on after 21:00 nowadays.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I watched Peaky Biklnders, good as ever, will look at Ipcress File on catchup tonight.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

It's not got great reviews, but I've just enjoyed The Bubble on Netflix. As usual, it's probably twenty minutes too long, but I found it amusing.

Unlike the same networks Don't Look Up. Dreadfully unfunny, gave up after about 40 minutes.

Still enjoying The Ipcress File on Sunday evenings, although the female lead seems to be doing a poor imitation of Lady Penelope.

John Cook

Quote from: Raider4 on 05 April 2022, 11:24:12 AMStill enjoying The Ipcress File on Sunday evenings, although the female lead seems to be doing a poor imitation of Lady Penelope.

I've been persevering with it but it's a pale imitation of the Michael Caine film.

Nirnman

Has anyone seen the trailers for what seems to be a remake of the WW2 classic "the man who never was" I think it is called "Operation Mincemeat" I wonder if it will hold up against the original

Raider4

ITV4 showed Aliens last night - and it was the original, theatrical version!

Other than the ad breaks, perfection.