Help Painting Rayguns

Started by Baconheimer, 28 August 2018, 06:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconheimer

Hello,

I've recently begun painting Pendraken Desert Rats (not the humans, the humanoid rodents) as a sort of space Skaven opponent to other science fiction figures I have.  Most of them are armed only with pistols, which I intend to use as representing rayguns.  I have punted then silver, but am now at a loss as to make them look a bit more science fiction-y.

Can anyone help with this?  I've attached pictures of these figures as they currently are below.

Baconheimer

Another view.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Red, blue or green ink wash, or there are blow in the dark paints available from Pendraken.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Baconheimer

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 August 2018, 07:09:03 PM
Red, blue or green ink wash, or there are blow in the dark paints available from Pendraken.
What sort of designs do you recommend if I went the glow in the dark paint route?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The top bar on the pistol, with at least a 00 brush, either one bar of colour, or pulsing red/yellow or green/yellow
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Red/yellow gets my vote, as it contrasts nicely with the blue/grey of the rats.

toxicpixie

Punk style fur markings?

In all sorts of exciting colours and shapes.

Might look a bit "tribal barbarian" if you go too heavy, but equally could also be post-apoc Mad Max style markings.

You could try adding some "clutter" if you're feeling tasty with modelling putty - a utility belt with water flask, holster and a "tac-comp"/tricorder might look good but that'd be too much for me in 10mm!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Chris Pringle

I used a lot of metallic green on my SF figures' weapons and kit. It looks convincingly like unobtainium.

Chris

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

It's ok, in this case it's applied unobtanium in a real world setting, not some theoretical lab only unobtanium!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Baconheimer, I used copper highlighted with silver and oiled steel for the weapons carried by my space infantry. I think this combination gives good contrast with both light and dark bodies.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Terry37

I used a silver and some bright metallic blue on my Red Skull ray gun and am very pleased with it.

Kind of hard to see well here, but it's between Red Skull and the glowing red orb.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

PS - I also love the suggestion of giving the figures punk fur with streaks of wild colors. Maybe  as some kind of rank a la Turtledove's The Race.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams