Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Westmarcher on 16 December 2018, 10:33:37 AM
Still on the gladius (sorry, Phil, can't give you a definitive answer on later sword lengths), another video which includes a demonstration of drawing the gladius (although I think he cheats slightly) together with evidence of wearing the sword on either hip (officers often wore theirs on the left). I didn't watch the whole video (got what I wanted within the first 4 minutes) so I don't know what the conclusion was regarding wearing swords on the back.

That way of doing it looks like a recipe for slicing through the armpit if not done carefully!  X_X

The trouble with the two methods in the videos is that they don't look elegant, efficient, or something that could be done either on parade or in close order with shields locked since they both need space for the elbow and forearm to be clear of the shield and the sword to be drawn with a forward motion.

The method I saw was like pulling a parachute ripcord: it was synchronised by the whole squad, practically instantaneous and could be done behind locked shields  :-\
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Right, then.

Mr Total Computer illiterate asks.

When you initially switch on your PC.....after it's been shut down. (Or more often, out here, after a mains 'flick'.)

What is the very first screen that comes up, called ?

The one where you click on 'anything'......(I just press enter)............. and it sends you to the next screen, that asks you for your password.......Then you go to the desktop.

I've managed to change that first screen's background once...(By accident) Which I was intending to do. (No idea how, though) X_X
I've since changed it by accident, when I was testing piccies on the desktop...and it's gone to the wrong Roger Dean piece of artwork.

So what's that damn first screen called ?

Cheers - A Muppet.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No the desk top is the bit you go to after you log in. That you can change the picture for. Far as I know Windows picks the log-on screen piccy
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Its the Boot Up screen.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Thanks, Mark !!

Now to search "Change boot up screen !!"

Cheers - Phil

Techno

Apparently......The term I was looking for was "Lock Screen".

Found that...and it worked when I went to change the background......Huzzah !!

I expect 'they' change the definitions every so often just to confuse Muppets, like yours truly. X_X

Cheers - Phil

Techno

New question, Gang.

With the 'Ancient Persians' range, wot I are doing at the moment..........

Did the cavalry of that era use stirrups ?

From what I can glean from t'net......It looks very unlikely.
The Chinese 'invented' stirrups in the first few centuries AD..(apparently)..and their use spread Westwards....So unless I'm going completely ga-ga, that means no cavalry around the time of Xerxes would have used said item.

Correct ? :-\

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Very unlikely to use stirrups as we think of them. They may have tucked their feet into a girth strap or have had toe loop iirc.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ancient western saddles (Not saddles from old Westerns) were designed to grip the thighs front and back, holding the ride5 on, but with less security than stirrups, allegedly...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Bloomin' Chinese claim to have invented everything.

We all know the stirrup was invented in Splot well before the Chinese even thought of it.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Thanks chaps. :)

Cheers - Phil

(Oooooo....I'm so close to my next star/promotion....As a treat I might show you the chaos that IS my work desk....Something I said that you'd never get the chance to see.....We can have a game of...."Where's Phil's wax 5 gone now ?") X_X

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 02 April 2019, 06:27:41 PM
We can have a game of...."Where's Phil's wax 5 gone now ?") X_X
:-&

That doesn't bear thinking about ... I'm afraid I shall be washing my hare that day.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 02 April 2019, 06:27:41 PM
Thanks chaps. :)

Cheers - Phil

..We can have a game of...."Where's Phil's wax 5 gone now ?") X_X

Does Wales have a problem of criminal gangs of Otolaryngologists roaming the countryside?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

I'be had a look at some of my sources, and no stirrups for Persians in the C5 BC.

Later on they talk about armoured saddles that curve over the thighs, but no stirrups.