Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno II

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 09 September 2021, 05:01:44 PM

The legendary RAF fighter pilot Douglas Bader died 5th September 1982.
This anecdote is not true but it is funny.

I saw a Liverpudlian comedian - Stan Boardman? - telling this story/joke on TV years ago. Think it basically killed his career.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Raider4 on 09 September 2021, 05:15:19 PM
I saw a Liverpudlian comedian - Stan Boardman? - telling this story/joke on TV years ago. Think it basically killed his career.

Wouldn't let it lie till after the watershed.

fsn

'Dagger,' 'Dazzle', and 'Duchess' lead the way during British Army manoeuvres. The A11 Matilda was used between mid-1938 and 1941. The Vickers Medium had been retired by this point, but it was pressed back into service as an emergency measure during mid-1940 as a result of the loss of almost all the British Army's tank fleet after the fall of France. These losses included 97 of the 139 A11 Matildas.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Excellent photo 8). Do you know by any chance when the photo was taken? I've used the Vickers Medium in my AVBCW games and Operation Sealion. Pretty useless to be honest but looks cool and needs must and all that.

Techno II

Sorry...I know you lot know I'm a complete 'historical' ignoramous, (Which I'm genuinely NOT proud of).....

But in that photo...The staff car ? (half way downish, on the left hand side of the pic) looks like it could hold a lot more men than some of those tanks/tankettes ?

Must have been horrendous to be in one of those 'wee tanks'.

Cheers - Astounded of Wales :o

toxicpixie

Yep, two men crammed into the Matilda I.

I did have a set of schematics somewhere that had the crew sketched in.

I am not a tall man, but I wouldn't want to drive one...

That's the Tilly II. The "big boys" version ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

Quote from: Steve J on 30 September 2021, 10:22:15 AM
Excellent photo 8). Do you know by any chance when the photo was taken? I've used the Vickers Medium in my AVBCW games and Operation Sealion. Pretty useless to be honest but looks cool and needs must and all that.
I don't know ... I'd guess 1938 or 39? Certainly no later than 1940.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

Quote from: Techno II on 30 September 2021, 10:29:31 AM
But in that photo...The staff car ? (half way downish, on the left hand side of the pic) looks like it could hold a lot more men than some of those tanks/tankettes ?

Two men only.  :)

fred.

That is a small tank! The turret has to be rotated to allow the driver's hatch to open!

You do have to wonder about inter-war tank design...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

No one had a clue, requirements for actual war were rather hazy, funding was... limited, technology was basic and unrefined, what was needed for the rather euphemistic "colonial policing" or "security" differs from what was needed in a full on at tier equivilent war, etc etc.

All the bits were there but it took a rather hotter crucible to forge it together and produce Centurion.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 30 September 2021, 12:29:56 PM
That is a small tank! The turret has to be rotated to allow the driver's hatch to open!

You do have to wonder about inter-war tank design...

With out hindsight, most look like Tracks and a machinegun fitted onto Noddy's car.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: toxicpixie on 30 September 2021, 01:52:42 PM
No one had a clue, requirements for actual war were rather hazy, funding was... limited, technology was basic and unrefined, what was needed for the rather euphemistic "colonial policing" or "security" differs from what was needed in a full on at tier equivilent war, etc etc.

All the bits were there but it took a rather hotter crucible to forge it together and produce Centurion.

More hindsight.

It's all very well to sit here 80 years later and claim that the Somua, BT-5, Panzer II, Japanese Type 95 or L6/40 are complete pants.
But almost any tank's a good tank with a bit of elan, and when the enemy have only  a few big rifles to oppose you.

Witness Italy in Abysynnia, Japan in Malaya, Germany in Poland, France, Netherlands, Belgium.

toxicpixie

Very true, and application of the correct soft factors goes a very long way.

Technically British and French tanks were much "better" than the opposition (guns, armour) but all the soft things were lacking. Reversed in the late war, although the quality of everything was far better.

And tanks are seldom built for the military needs alone, as much as they're political creatures and bought for politico-economic factors (witness the British Army & Abrams versus Chally I/Shir, or the Soviet T-64/72/80 "competing" design bureau politics).

fsn

There were a lot of factors that went into tank design. The Italians were self-limited by their bridges, the British by their rail gauge. The Chieftain makes a point that the most important feature of the Sherman was the eyebolts that allowed the tanks to be lifted by cranes onto ships.

That plus the economic factors, the philosophy of armoured use and industrial capacity all affect tank design.   

The cute little Matilda I was there to provide the infantry tanks with an anti-machine gun capacity. In short, it is a mobile Vickers gun. So being slow and small didn't matter, but having thick armour was beneficial.

Similarly early Pz IV were just support tanks with a short barrelled howitzer, and the Pz III was meant to fight other tanks.