Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 29 August 2021, 09:59:54 PM
It does seem a bit excessive for such a small AT gun

It looks fairly early war, so perhaps they were confident they didn't near more captured light tanks?

The British made good use of old Crusader tank chassis as tows for 17pdr AT guns, but the 17pdr was a huge gun so the power would have helped a lot in moving the gun cross country.

The Americans had a fully tracked artillery tractor, but I don't think it was based on a tank hull?

I recall the Germans capturing massive numbers of light soviet tanks in the first months of Barbarossa.
I'll speculate they (like later Soviet designs) were an internal ergonomic nightmare that no self respecting panzertruppe would contemplate taking into battle.

But take the lid off and you've a fast and terrain friendly tractor with capacity for your gun crew and ammo.
It's probably useful having 3 or 4 of them about when the Captain's Pz IV bogs down.

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 04 September 2021, 11:20:24 AM

This is how Jeeps were shipped out during World War Two.

Some assembly required.

An early container system (presumably this enabled numerous jeeps to be stacked on top of each other in a ship's hold).

Battery not included?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Battery included, but in a different box to prevent shorts!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 04 September 2021, 01:37:14 PM
Battery included, but in a different box to prevent shorts!

Should have given it to these chaps then . . .

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

The AAC-1937 (Autoametralladora-cañón Chevrolet modelo 1937) was an armored car developed by the Republican government during the Spanish Civil War.  It was based on the Chevrolet SD 1937 truck, which was being produced under licence in Barcelona, with a third axle added to take the extra weight.  Between 60 and 90 were produced, with a variety of turrets including examples for machine guns or Puteaux 37mm guns and  even turrets from wrecked T-26, BT-5 or BA-6 tanks. At least 30 were captured by the Nationalists and used after the war, while 20 were handed over to the French by the defeated Republicans.  These saw some service in France, before being taken into German service as Beutepanzer, re-armed with twin MG-34 as seen here and used in the East.

So, a French truck, turned into a Spanish armoured car, handed to the French, captured by the Germans and fighting in Russia?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

I am now imagining a Victorian unit of female cyclists ... the Gillingham Women's Institue Cycle Squadron   

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Techno II

Good grief !  :o

No wonder women in the Victorian era had fainting 'fits' !!

She's pulled in her waist so far, it makes even me look overweight.

If they'd had (camera) motor drives in that era....I bet the next shots would have shown her dress getting caught in the spokes....and the poor lass falling to the floor.

Cheers - Phil. :)

FierceKitty

Looks a bit like Miss Gulch (the Wicked Witch of the West).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

True   ;D ;D....but the cheeks are way too fat.....and the waist, complared to to Nobby's post...

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 04 September 2021, 12:53:42 PM
An early container system (presumably this enabled numerous jeeps to be stacked on top of each other in a ship's hold).

Battery not included?

Just missing the decal sheet and tube of polystyrene cement.
What scale is this kit?

steve_holmes_11

Not a tank, and hardly my preffered scale, but a tip of the hat to this guy and his mates.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fsn on 09 September 2021, 07:41:48 AM

I am now imagining a Victorian unit of female cyclists ... the Gillingham Women's Institue Cycle Squadron   

That would further complicate the madison race at the Olympics and similar track meets.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno II on 09 September 2021, 10:08:08 AM
Good grief !  :o

No wonder women in the Victorian era had fainting 'fits' !!

She's pulled in her waist so far, it makes even me look overweight.

If they'd had (camera) motor drives in that era....I bet the next shots would have shown her dress getting caught in the spokes....and the poor lass falling to the floor.

I'm sure Leman would have posted this, if I hadn't.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/coat-protectors-jas-beschermers

The Dutch "Coat protector" - these days more aimed at keeping small children's toes out of the rear wheel on the "school run" bike.

fsn

The legendary RAF fighter pilot Douglas Bader died 5th September 1982.
This anecdote is not true but it is funny.