Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

The massive allied bombing campaigns of 1944/45 did enormous damage to German cities, often leaving streets blocked with rubble.  A number of tanks – mostly  damaged in combat – were converted to "Panzer-Strassenraeumgeraet" (tank street bulldozer equipment) to help clear the rubble. The majority were Panzer III / IV, but at least one Panther was also converted
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Whereas Berlin treets were cleared every day by Street Women.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

THE LIBYAN CAMPAIGN.
Original wartime caption: Crowds of Italian tanks which have been captured. Some of these are of the latest type.
Creator: Lieut. L.B. Davies, No. 1 Army Film and Photo Section, Army Film and Photographic Unit.
Source: © IWM E 2037

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fsn on 21 June 2021, 08:12:27 PM

THE LIBYAN CAMPAIGN.
Original wartime caption: Crowds of Italian tanks which have been captured. Some of these are of the latest type.
Creator: Lieut. L.B. Davies, No. 1 Army Film and Photo Section, Army Film and Photographic Unit.
Source: © IWM E 2037

Inhales sharply: Dunno who did the last service on this one, there's a lot to fix and it won't be cheap. It's getting the parts you see.

fsn

When you really, really hope all the hatches are secured.....The vehicle is obviously a British FV510 Warrior IFV, and the Lions are obviously, um...Lions?

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 01 July 2021, 07:52:51 PM

The lions are saying to each other - "Don't you jut hate trying to open corned beef when that little key has fallen off"
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Big Insect

It might just be the standard MoD Procurement Longleat test

1st - is it lion proof (pass)

2nd - is it baboon proof (fail) ... nothing is safe from a pack of baboons
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Orcs

Took my kids to Woburn Safari Park when they were quite young.  In those days we had a Scenic with Front and rear sunroofs. THe highl;ight of the day for my middle daughter who was about 5 at the time ,was seeing a monkey defecating on the glass. She went on about it all day.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Years ago I took my grandmother to Chester zoo. She was unimpressed until we went into the monkey house. A  chimp threw their own stuff at the window then, when they had our attention, stood on two feet and displayed, in ever lengthening certainty that the chimp was male.

Granny's day was made.

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 02 July 2021, 07:57:15 PM
Years ago I took my grandmother to Chester zoo. She was unimpressed until we went into the monkey house. A  chimp threw their own stuff at the window then, when they had our attention, stood on two feet and displayed, in ever lengthening certainty that the chimp was male.

Granny's day was made.

Chimps. They certainly know how to woo a woman.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

THE ROYAL NAVY DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR.
Vice-Admiral Whitworth, the Second Sea Lord, coming ashore after inspecting HMS VANESSA at the port of Liverpool.
A sentry is presenting arms with a fixed bayonet by the end of the gang plank.
Creator: Tomlin, H W (Lt), Royal Navy official photographer.
Source: © IWM A 10233

Is it just me, or does that sentry look to be about 12?

Techno II

He does look particularly young.

Cheers - Phil :)

John Cook