Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

The Centurion was first used in mid-1945, when six prototypes were sent to Germany at the end of the Second World War. The production standard Mark 1 entered service in 1946. Only 100 Mark 1s were produced, subsequent versions were more heavily armoured and used a different design of turret. This no longer featured the unsuccessful independent machine gun.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

It looks very like a Comet from this angle - especially without the side skirts
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Quote from: fred. on 18 March 2021, 09:00:06 PM
It looks very like a Comet from this angle - especially without the side skirts

Well that was its heritage
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

pierre the shy

"Look Sir T-34's advancing from the East....hundreds of them!!"  ;)

Thats very much a photo of two halves isn't it?

On the left four members of the Cent's crew sit/stand idly waiting for the small "O" group on the right to decide their next move..... 

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Looks very like the one contour on Salisbury plain
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Most Indian Army units fought loyally for the British, but small units were raised to fight against them by both the Japanese (the Indian National Army) and the Germans (The Free India Legion).  The latter was raised from an initial core of political exiles living in Germany, supplemented by Indian POWs captured in North Africa.  They mostly served as internal security units in western Europe, though some saw combat against British and Polish troops in Italy.  These men are manning an MG34 position on the Atlantic Wall near Bordeaux several months before D-day

:o

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Raider4

Certainly surprising the Nazis would want such a thing.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Raider4 on 31 March 2021, 06:10:54 PM
Certainly surprising the Nazis would want such a thing.

I intend no credibility toward the insane Nazi doctrine, but I understand that some took the whole Indian / Aryan / Swastikas thing quite seriously.

You'll always find these master race types creating bizarre exceptions.

Ace of Spades

The nazi's were smart enough to set people up against each other. Indians versus the British imperialists, Bosnian Muslims versus Jews, Ukrainians and cossacks against communists etc. As long as they would help them out they were welcome. How they planned to deal with them after the Endsieg luckily remains to be speculation. I don't believe they would have been given huge rewards...not much exceeding a 7.62 I fear.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

With the recent Defence Review, the British Army is going speed up the arrival of the 8x8 wheeled Boxer APC, which will replace the existing tracked Warrior IFV.  The Boxer is a joint German / Dutch design, and is already in service with those countries, Australia and Lithuania.  The UK had originally been a participant in the Boxer programme, but withdrew to develop its own "Future Rapid Effect System" programme, then rejoined in 2018.  The most notable feature of the Boxer is its modular nature – the same chassis and drive unit can be fitted with one of several "mission modules", which can changed in less than an hour, allowing the fleet to be reconfigured for changing needs at relatively low costs.   There are currently 15 different mission modules available, including APC, ambulance, command post, 30mm cannon turret, mortar carrier and even an autoloading 155mm howitzer.

Can't help thinking the new camouflage scheme has even fewer uses than the Berlin scheme.

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 03 April 2021, 10:23:55 AM
Can't help thinking the new camouflage scheme has even fewer uses than the Berlin scheme.

Oh, I dunno, You could hide it in the background of a Tory minister's Zoom meeting. And there's probably still a few kerbs in Belfast that it could be parked alongside and just meld in?

T13A

Hi

Was it just me that on first inspection it looked as if it was made out of Lego?  ;)

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Well you don't think the current govt would buy an armoured vehicle, far too sensible  :'(

fsn

Six Avro Vulcan B.2's and six Handley Page Victor B.2's lined up at RAF Scampton in their 'anti-flash' white paint scheme.

There's lovely!