Cheers - Phil.

Ace of Spades

Perhaps it's a booster rocket?

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Shows how tough those old Toyotas are!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 09 March 2021, 11:12:28 AM
Shows how tough those old Toyotas are!

Well, if it does not detonate toughness doesn't really come into it ;)

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 25 February 2021, 09:04:37 PM
It does look as though they captured, and brewed up the tank.

They only did that just in time, and a little poignant, as PAN AM- brewed up (Collapsed in 1991).

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

INDIAN ARMOURED CORPS IN THE MIDDLE EAST, 1944.
Sherman tank crews of the Scinde Horse Regiment, part of the Indian 31st Armoured Division in Iraq.
In the foreground, a party of Sikhs is being given instruction on stripping and cleaning a Browning gun, by a Viceroy's Commissioned Officer.
Part of: MINISTRY OF INFORMATION SECOND WORLD WAR OFFICIAL COLLECTION.
Source: © IWM K 6692
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

They say necessity is the mother of invention, and the last decade of wars and insurgencies across the middle east has certainly produced some unexpected conversions.  This is one of the more unusual – a humvee fitted with the turret from an old BMP-1 IFV seen in Yemen

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 11 March 2021, 08:12:48 PM

INDIAN ARMOURED CORPS IN THE MIDDLE EAST, 1944.
Sherman tank crews of the Scinde Horse Regiment, part of the Indian 31st Armoured Division in Iraq.
In the foreground, a party of Sikhs is being given instruction on stripping and cleaning a Browning gun, by a Viceroy's Commissioned Officer.
Part of: MINISTRY OF INFORMATION SECOND WORLD WAR OFFICIAL COLLECTION.
Source: © IWM K 6692

Interestingly, the tanks all have uniform camouflage

fsn

I hadn't noticed that!

What intrigued me was their uniforms.

Steve J

IIRC the British had camo patterns to follow, as I've seen the same on early war tanks where they all have the same pattern, near as damnit.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Thats true Steve. You see Grants, Shermans and Crusaders with the white outline to the brown because the crew had not painted over the full area outlined by the engineers. Most armies do have standard patterns - even for MERDEC, one of the reasons it was withdrawn is that the crew painted vehicles were none standard.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Char B1 in German hands.

For some reason I imagine the chap sat there sounds like this ....

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 16 March 2021, 08:35:44 PM

Obviously the inspiration for all those "woman in bikini lying on the bonnet" pictures you used to get at car launches/motor shows.

sultanbev

I've spent most of today failing to find an armour schematic for the Char B1bis showing the actual plate thicknesses for each part of the tank.
Sources don't even agree on the flat plate thickness of the hull side (it's either 55mm or 60mm).
The turret sides and rear are apparently 56mm thick, but it's the various parts of the turret front and hull front with their varying angles that I'm after.

This pic here shows the turret varies, but not the actual values
https://warspot.net/68-char-b1-bis-general-estienne-s-legacy/images?name=%2F000%2F000%2F887%2Fcontent%2Fcharbp3s01-0ca88fa558e13ea670e15271cd54d15b-89e0ff6185b7c27b4d13e9c972bb4912.jpg

For instance the MG mantlet is actually spaced armour, but the plates are considerably thinner than the 56mm turret side plates. Normally this wouldn't matter but the MG port mantlet is so a huge part of the turret front that plenty of shots aimed at the turret are gonna hit the thing.

I've managed to find the equivalent data for the Somua S-35 and it's quite startling how the Line of Sight thicknesses vary when facing frontally.
Mark