Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: Orcs on 06 February 2021, 08:34:13 PM
No response from Nobby, He is probably sobbing in a darkened  room  ;D
Pshaw! I just assumed that they were talking about 2nd class vehicles.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

BRITISH SUBMARINE HMS STORM RETURNS HOME FROM THE FAR EAST. 8 APRIL 1945, PORTSMOUTH. MEN OF THE STORM ON THEIR RETURN TO BRITAIN AFTER A SUCCESSFUL COMMISSION IN THE FAR EAST.
HM Submarine STORM a S-class submarine flying her Jolly Roger.
Creator: McNeill, M H A (Lt).
Source: © IWM A 28130

Don't they look awfully clean?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Techno II

OK.....I'm still coming from the point that I understand bog all....

But I'm keen to try and get my head around 'stuff' that loads of you already know.

Right....the hatch on top of the turret....There's only room for one 'chap' to use either of those machine guns.....even if there were two beanpoles like yours truly trying to get out of the hatch.

You couldn't have two chaps....each using one of the MGs could you ?

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But there are two - commanders cupola and loaders hatch. Original Shermans had one hatch in the turret cupola but the British added one to the left side on Fireflies cause the loader could'nt crawl over the considerably larger breach, THe US foillowed suite in the Easy 8 (actual des M4A3 HVSS 76mm [Wet}) as from memory their less powerful 76mm had an even biger breach block. And to prove that I'm not omnipitant I had to root out one of PSC Shermings to check.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

T13A

Hi Phil

Regarding the photo of the Sherman, there are two hatches in the top of the turret so the commander would be firing the .50" and the loader the .30". In the photo you can see the belts of ammo. coming from the boxes into the guns, the .50" one is attached to the gun itself, the .30" one is loose on top of the tank turret. With just one man on each gun they would take sometime to reload. The .50" is I think on a permanent mount on top of the turret, goodness knows what would happen if the .30" had to be fired where it is with a tripod mount just laying there loose on top of the turret, I would certainly not like to be anywhere near it!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Techno II

Quote from: ianrs54 on 07 February 2021, 04:02:00 PM
But there are two - commanders cupola and loaders hatch. Original Shermans had one hatch in the turret cupola but the British added one to the left side on Fireflies cause the loader could'nt crawl over the considerably larger breach, THe US foillowed suite in the Easy 8 (actual des M4A3 HVSS 76mm [Wet}) as from memory their less powerful 76mm had an even biger breach block. And to prove that I'm not omnipitant I had to root out one of PSC Shermings to check.

Excellent, Ian.....Something else I can get my head around.... Thanks, Matey.
..and also thanks to you, Paul. :-bd

I genuinely like learning 'stuff' like this.

Cheers - Phil.

Raider4

As I understand it . . .

In American Shermans in late WW2, the commander had a .30 cal MG attached by the cupola for his use. The .50 cal was attached so that someone standing behind the turret could use it.

Hollywood I know, but they sort of illustrate this:

(although Oddball appears to be missing his .30 cal)

And, in general, if you see a Sherman with machine guns on the top it's (probably) American. One without the guns is (probably) British. British doctrine was different

Bit more geekism. In Korea there were often Sandbag replacements on the turret tops.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 07 February 2021, 07:56:53 PM
Bit more geekism. In Korea there were often Sandbag replacements on the turret tops.

Yes its the tankers equivalent of 'penis envy'.  We got more guns than you so must be better,
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

British Sherman. No MG.

Early US Sherman - 2 fixed hull MGs (though no commanders MG)

Thought they did try the M3 style commanders cupola

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 07 February 2021, 03:34:07 PM

BRITISH SUBMARINE HMS STORM RETURNS HOME FROM THE FAR EAST. 8 APRIL 1945, PORTSMOUTH. MEN OF THE STORM ON THEIR RETURN TO BRITAIN AFTER A SUCCESSFUL COMMISSION IN THE FAR EAST.
HM Submarine STORM a S-class submarine flying her Jolly Roger.
Creator: McNeill, M H A (Lt).
Source: © IWM A 28130

Don't they look awfully clean?

Nobby, can you just explain how this picture has anything to do with the Tank Museum .

As far as  I am aware the vehicle in this picture is  has less armor than a bren carrier, and is not very fast in the bocage of Northern France or the plains of western Europe. Its main armament is also of little use in the anti tank role  :) 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 07 February 2021, 10:35:32 PM
Nobby, can you just explain how this picture has anything to do with the Tank Museum .

As far as  I am aware the vehicle in this picture is  has less armor than a bren carrier, and is not very fast in the bocage of Northern France or the plains of western Europe. Its main armament is also of little use in the anti tank role  :) 

OTOH

She's faster through the water than a Sherman DD.

Other than torpedoes she had one three-inch (76 mm) gun, one 20 mm Oerlikon cannon and three .303-calibre machine guns. So she out-guns a Sherman IMHO.

Though I'll grant you armour, as such, is lacking. The hull is able to stand quite a bit of pressure, however. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

The Lynx armoured car was produced by Ford of Canada in Windsor, Ontario. It essentially grafted the hull of the successful British Dingo armoured car onto a chassis fitted with a conventional four-wheel drive and running gear. While the engine was more powerful, than the original, the gearbox and suspension were inferior.  This example is being used by the ARVN during the Vietnam War, and has been modified with an armoured roof and locally fabricated machine-gun turret

fsn

Quote from: Orcs on 07 February 2021, 10:35:32 PM

Ah! I'm also on the "Royal Navy During WWII" group.

What can I say? I'm adaptable.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Think Penguin might get upset as that image if HMS Storm us also used in 'One of our Submarines' which was the 1000th Penguin published..
Great read if you can get it..
🐧 🐧 🐧 🐧 🐧
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner