Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

An M4A3E8 Sherman in Korea. Although the more modern M26 & M46 tanks were widely used during the Korean War (1950-53), the Sherman also gave sterling service in both American and Canadian hands. In fact during the later phases of the war the Sherman was often preferred.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Shermans were prefered due to the state of the Korean roads and lack of armoured opposition.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

The only known photograph of the Comet Crocodile.
This was an attempt to fit the Crocodile flamethrower to a faster and more modern tank than the Churchill it had been used with during the Second World War. Ultimately, "while crossing half-timbered trench against 26" step" at a speed of 8 miles per hour the trailer was torn away from the Comet. This damaged its tyres and broke the axle. The trials went no further.

I think this proves that just because you can doesn't mean you should.   "We have a nippy, not greatly armoured tank. Let's attach a big heavy weight on it and give it a short range weapon." 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

06 February 2021, 08:55:35 AM #288 Last Edit: 06 February 2021, 09:12:46 AM by fsn

One of the M4A1 (76) Shermans carried aboard the wartime cargo ship SS Empire Heritage, sunk by a U-boat 15 miles off Malin Head, Donegal, in late 1944.  The Empire Heritage was originally built as the Tafelberg in 1930 in Newcastle, and registered in South Africa.  She had been sunk by a mine in 1941, but was refloated and repaired by the Ministry of War Transport by February 1943.  In September 1944 she was en route from New York to Liverpool as part of convoy HXF 305 with a cargo of vehicles – half-tracks, tanks and trucks – when she was hit by two torpedoes from U-482, going to the bottom with her cargo and 113 of her crew and passengers.   Her wreck is in 70m of water, with some of the vehicles from her cargo scattered around her

Thinking about it, some of my early paint jobs look at bit like that. I say early ...

Steve J

Wow, that's a lot of tanks in one space! Great photo too 8).

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 05 February 2021, 11:26:08 PM

In fact during the later phases of the war the Sherman was often preferred.

That must hurt Nobby.  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Although the more modern M26 & M46 tanks were widely used ... In fact during the later phases of the war the Sherman was often preferred.

A certain British vehicle was not included in the comparison #:-S ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

No response from Nobby, He is probably sobbing in a darkened  room  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

An M4A3E8 Sherman in Korea. Although the more modern M26 & M46 tanks were widely used during the Korean War (1950-53) . . . during the later phases of the war the Sherman was often preferred.

Quote from: paulr on 06 February 2021, 08:17:36 PM
A certain British vehicle was not included in the comparison #:-S ;)

Presumably the original quote is about the Americans? I gather they were mightily impressed by the Centurion, but I doubt they'd have been allowed to borrow a few.

The dark bits are very dark green. It was used by 2nd Armoured Division in Europe, but it's very hard to see on black and white film.

Techno II

Tell a complete numpty....

Are there two machine guns on the turret ?

From my pitiful 'knowledge ' the bigger one looks like a 50 cal GPMG.
What's the smaller one that's closer to the camera ?
......and why are there two ?

Cheers - Phil :)

Steve J

The smaller one looks like a 0.3" cal mg and is free standing, so probably added firepower for the position they were in.

Yes - the 50 cal on the Cupola, and a scrounge 30 cal on it's bipod straped to the turret for the loader? to use, as John says.

T13A

Yep

As above, both Browning's; had one of the big ones as a ranging gun on Chieftain when I first joined up and just before lasers took over. A real pig to clean, had the smaller one (which I think is actually on a tripod mount) on my Ferret A/C in NI and on Ferret's in C Squadron (the Sharpshooters), the Royal Yeomanry when I was in the TA.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!