Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

THE ROYAL NAVY DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR.
In the ward room that has been decorated with balloons and streamers, the First Lieutenant carves the joint during Christmas celebrations on board HMS WESTMINSTER at Rosyth.
Note the vacant chair for the officer on watch. December 1941.
Creator: Smith, J H (Lt), Royal Navy official photographer.
Source: © IWM A 6484
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Spot the posed piccy. ;D

And people who really don't want to be photographed.

Come on.....Does Matey really look like he's actually carving that. ;D

Cheers - Phil. :-*

Orcs

Quote from: Techno II on 30 January 2021, 05:23:09 PM
Spot the posed piccy. ;D

And people who really don't want to be photographed.

Come on.....Does Matey really look like he's actually carving that. ;D

Cheers - Phil. :-*

Yep, and what's the plum duff doing on the table before thy have even started the turkey
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno II

fsn

http://sa-kuva.fi/neo?tem=webneoeng#
Found this - Finnish wartime photos.

The captions are in Finnish (Ah, if only we had someone who could speak the language!) so I have used Google Translate, and put the results in as given. Apologies to any Finnish speakers for any offence given.

Spraying exercise. Lieutenant Colonel Susitaival and Commander Göransson following. 16/6/42

Häme Equestrian Regiment (HRR) men riding and skiing in Velikaja Niva  15/3/42

The Bl machine (Bristol Blenheim) is towed into place by a tractor. Refueling Squadron 17.  28/3/44

The fighters (pictured Morane-Saulnier M.S.406) take off for a patrol flight: the fire tubes are ready to speak. Sound Castle, Viitana 17/3/42

Presentation of new plunge cannons to Marshal Mannerheim of Finland and the President of the Republic. Different types of assault wagons in the passing march.
Enso 04.06.1944

I can see that I may have to get into the Finnish/Soviet conflicts - but not this year! This year is a year of Napoleonics!

But I really, really want "plunge cannons"!

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

I believe the 2nd from last is a Swedish made Landsverk L62 AA gun, aka the ItPSV41 of which (if Wiki is the be believed) the Finns bought 6.

Steve J

Great photos of Finnish stuff we rarely get to see 8).

pierre the shy

If you're interested in the "plunge cannons"  aka Landsverk L62 AA gun check out the Hungarian Nimrod AA vehicle which was a real life licensed copy of the original L62. Though not in our hosts WW 2 Hungarian range the Nimrod is the subject of various other manufacturer's ranges in various scales.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fsn

Seamen sorting out waste paper on board a battleship.
This is part of attempts to salvage every scrap of paper, metal, bone and food for pigs. September 1942.
Creator: Tomlin, H W (Lt), Royal Navy official photographer.
Source: © IWM A 11416

Bet that's a great job. Do you think it was a great chat up line? "Oh yes, I'm in the Warspite, it's a dangerous job. Got a really deep paper cut yesterday."
I love these photos, make those big ships seem more human. 

fsn

A Chieftain AVRE (CHAVRE) towing two 'Giant Viper' trailers.
The rear trailer is launching the Viper rocket. The Viper system was developed in the 1950's for minefield clearance, rockets launched a 250m hose filled with plastic explosive, the hose was then detonated leaving a clear lane through the minefield.
The CHAVRE is also carrying 3 'maxi' pipe fascines.
Credit: Haynes Publishing

fsn

NIGHT ATTACK ON ENEMY CONVOY; NAVAL ACTION PICTURES. 12 JANUARY 1945, ON BOARD THE CRUISER HMS NORFOLK DURING THE SUCCESSFUL ATTACK BY SHIPS OF THE HOME FLEET AGAINST AN ENEMY CONVOY CARRYING VITAL WAR SUPPLIES OFF THE COAST OF NORWAY.
Nearing home the tired guns crews of the NORFOLK curl up at the warm base of a funnel to enjoy a well-earned sleep. Empty shell cases are seen in the foreground.
Creator: Coote, R G G (Lt).
Source: © IWM A 27032

How tired they must be to sleep like that

Steve J

I've fallen asleep sat on a stool working on a model after pulling an all nighter. When the boss found me he sent me home, but how I rode my motorbike safely I'm not sure...

Orcs

Quote from: Steve J on 05 February 2021, 09:21:40 PM
I've fallen asleep sat on a stool working on a model after pulling an all nighter. When the boss found me he sent me home, but how I rode my motorbike safely I'm not sure...

I have lost count of the mornings I have driven home with all the windows open just to stay awake.

They say that driving home after a night shift is the equivalent of being 2 x over the legal drink limit.

Saw a program a year or so ago about night workers and they interviewed a cleaner who worked 20:00 to 0400 as a cleaner , then drove an HGV al day!
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson