What color is Saffron?

Started by d_Guy, 08 February 2018, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

;D ;D
Strangely, we watched a "Pawn Stars" recently were a full suit of clothes (breeches, waistcoat, and coat) owned and worn by George Washington was on offer (priced well beyond $1M). They were a light yellow sand colour but it turns out the original colour was hot pink!
Shame he wasn't wearing it for the famous Gilbert Stuart painting!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

steve_holmes_11

08 December 2018, 11:00:25 PM #32 Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 11:11:48 PM by steve_holmes_11
Quote from: d_Guy on 10 February 2018, 08:24:43 PM
;D ;D
Strangely, we watched a “Pawn Stars” recently were a full suit of clothes (breeches, waistcoat, and coat) owned and worn by George Washington was on offer (priced well beyond $1M). They were a light yellow sand colour but it turns out the original colour was hot pink!
Shame he wasn’t wearing it for the famous Gilbert Stuart painting!

I'd like to see Washington crossing the Delaware revamped in a hot pink livery.

Remember this was the guy who bested Napoleon in deadliest warrior.

On topic aside:

The saffron of modern day Buddhist monks (Google some temple images form Thailand) looks a lot more golden or orange than the baggy shirts I've seen form any depictions of Irish, or Scots highlanders.
Perhaps this is down to the monks having artificial dyes and opting or bolder colours.

Saffron comes from the powder form the sexy bits of the crocus.
Last time I checked (about a decade back) it retailed arounf £4,000 per kilo, but it's a fine powder so yield off each flower must be miniscule.
Efforts to persuade Afghan farmers to replace their poppy crops with the valuable crocus (War on drugs, nobody complained whenit was Donald Sutherland in Kelly's heroes) have largely met with failure.

Last Hussar

She was ginger when I was dating her, but that was back in 92/93
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry